Saturday, December 26, 2015

Silent Vows

Book Review of Silent Vows (MacCoinnich Time Travel Series)


Title: Silent Vows

Series: MacCoinnich Times Series

Author: Catherine Bybee

Date Published: September 3rd 2010

Date Read:  July 09, 2015

The Blurb:
Myra, a medieval virgin druidess, flees five hundred years into the future to escape death at the hands of a cursed witch and lands in the arms of a handsome but cynical twenty-first century cop. Officer Todd Blakely knows Myra is hiding something, but can't resist her innocent charms. Destiny throws them both into a world of intrigue and mysticism. Can Todd be the true white knight she needs? Or will magic and the winds of time tear them apart? 

My Review




5 Give me a reason to come home every night Stars 

                  * May be some spoilers below*



“Do you think I didn’t know what would happen when I jumped into the stones? That I didn’t know I might never see my life as it was before again. I knew exactly what I was doing, Myra, and I did it anyway.” He took a step back. “I chose to do it anyway.” Her hands covered her arms in a struggle to keep warm. “Why?” “Because of you, dammit! I couldn’t stop thinking about you.”

I am lovin the hell outta this series. The first book Binding Vows was so good I really didn't think that the second book would come close to being as good as the first, but I was wrong. Silent Vows is funny, action packed, and romantic.

“I’ve learned from my years on the force that life is often stranger than fiction. I haven’t pushed you for the answers I know you have, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want them.”


“No one has ever kissed me the way you do. Let alone anything more.”

What this book is about

Myra MacCoinnich is a druid virgin living in the 16th Century. Myra's brothers Duncan and Fin went into the future a few months ago to stop the evil witch Grianna from getting her hands on a druid virgin, which she needs to break her curse. When they come back from the future they bring the druid virgin that Grianna was after with them. Tara McAllister Who is now married to Myra's brother Duncan. Grianna unbeknownst to the others has come back to the 16 century with Duncan, Fin, and Tara, and is now after Myra. Myra's Mother Lora has had a dream warning her that Myra will die if she doesn't go into the future, to Tara's time. So the family sends Myra to Tara's time to search out Tara's sister Lizzy to stay with her until the danger is over and it's safe to return home. Instead Myra meets Officer Todd Blakely, who knows Myra is lying and hiding something, but helps her anyways, because he feels protective of her. Will Myra be able to find Lizzy and keep safe in the future? 

“I’m not a knight.” “That is where you are wrong. You may not have those titles in this time. But your actions are those of a knight. You’ve dedicated your life to righting people’s wrongs. You uphold the laws of your land. Your chivalry would not go unnoticed in my time."


“When you touch me, I feel alive,” she confessed. “This burning inside me is only sated when you touch me. I want this. I want you.”

I liked Todd. He is a little bit cynical and a bit jaded. When his dad was killed in the line of duty and his mom died a few months later of a broken heart Todd decided he would never marry and take a chance of putting his wife through what his mom suffered. So he keeps people at arm's length. I love that even though he tries not to get close to her, Myra breaks through his walls. I loved Myra. She was very sweet, innocent, and a little naive. I loved reading about her child like joy of discovering new things when she was in the future. I thought it was so sweet when Todd was taking her around showing her new things especially when he took her to look at the neighborhood Christmas lights. Myra not knowing or understand how things worked in the future lead to some hilarious moments like when Todd called home to check on her. She could hear him talking on the answering machine telling her to pick up, and she was talking in the air like he could hear her . Todd and Myra are a adorable couple. I loved the sister bonding that happens in this book. Ian and lora Myra's parents are awesome! I loved the parts with Fin and Simon. I don't know how I feel about Fin and Liz. I know their book is next and I am a little worried, seeing as Fin pissed me off in this book by kissing Liz then trying to get Todd to go into town with him to find women to sleep with to get their minds off Liz and Myra. They don't go but just the fact that Fin wanted to use another woman to get his mind off Liz after he kissed her pissed me off so bad. I don't know how I will feel about them as a couple. Just sayin. I am loving this series so far and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys romances. 

“The bruise on your eye, how did you come by it?” He had almost forgotten about Fin’s fist greeting him that very morning. It seemed so long ago. “Fin.” Ian’s lips curved slightly. “Would you like to blacken the other?” “To serve what purpose?” “Oh, I don’t know make you feel better?” Ian grunted, drank his Scotch. “It might be difficult for you to hit a target with that gun of yours if your vision is blurry.” “Later, then?” Ian laughed. “Maybe.”


Below I leave my favorite moment from the book:

“I’m going to marry your daughter.” Myra’s eyes grew big as saucers. A muscle ticked in her father’s jaw. “Are you asking, lad?” Oh, God. Todd turned to her, smiled. “Marry me.” A short laugh burst out. “He wants you to ask him,” she explained. “I don’t want to marry him. I want to marry you.” But he was joking. His hand moved around her waist and pulled her close. “Marry me, Myra. Give me a reason to come home every night.”



No comments:

Post a Comment