Sunday, February 16, 2020

Dark Prince

Book Review of Dark Prince (Carpathian Series)



Title:  Dark Prince

Series: Carpathian Series

Author: Christine Feehan

Date Published:  March 8th 1999

Date Read: June 9th  2012

The Blurb:
Carpathians are an immortal race of beings with animal instincts. Every Carpathian male is drawn to his life mate: a Carpathian or human female able to provide the light to his darkness. Without her, the beast within slowly consumes the man until turning vampire is the only option.

Raven Whitney is a psychic who has used her gift to help the police track down a serial killer. Now she is determined to escape the glare of recent publicity for the peace and quiet of the Carpathian Mountains.

Prince Mikhail Dubrinsky is the leader of his people but, as his ancient Carpathian race grows ever closer to extinction, he is close to giving in to the heavy weight of loneliness and despair.

From the moment their minds touch, Raven and Mikhail form a connection. But there are those who incorrectly view all Carpathians as vampires, and are determined to give their extinction a helping hand.

My Review


4.5 You Are My Lifemate Stars

First read June 2012
Reread January 8, 2016
Reread January 20, 2017


*Some Spoilers*



Your pain was so sharp, so terrible, I couldn't ignore it. I thought you might like to talk. Death is not an answer to unhappiness. I think you know that. In any case, I'll stop if you wish it.-Raven

Sometimes when it's been a while since you read a book you can forget just how wonderful it is. You remember it was special, that you loved it. It stands out in your memories, but memories normally pale to the truth. I had forgotten how captivating, imaginative, and amazing the Carpathians world Christine Feehan created is. Her Carpathian race are just boundless. They can pretty much do anything. And I love that. I loved Dark Prince from beginning to end. I only reason this book didn't get a full 5 stars is because even thought I like Raven a lot and even though I got that it was necessary to the plot. Raven had some stupid moments. Like Joey from Friends Stupid!

"Do not try to leave me, Raven." The car drew up in front of the inn. "I hold what is mine, and make no mistake, you are mine."-Mikhail



"We really are from two different worlds, aren't we?" she asked sadly. He brought her hand to the warmth of his mouth. "There is such a thing as compromise, little one. We can move between the two worlds or create our own."-Raven and Mikhail

But even with the stupid things she did she was still endearing, and so It was pretty easy to overlook her ditzyness. Raven is alone in the world. Different from others. She is telepathic. Her powers are so strong that she can't touch people without it hurting her because she can feel their emotions. She uses her powers to help track serial killers. But that has left her tormented over the things she has relived through the killer's minds. Raven goes to the Carpathian Mountains to rest and clear her mind of the darkness. There she hears Mikhail thoughts, feels his pain and reaches out to help him, changing her world forever. Even though he comes on strong, Raven feels like she belongs with Mikhail. She sees good in him, when all he sees is dark. Raven is a bit naive. She always sees the good in others. So sweet, and kindhearted she is always trying to help others even putting herself at risk to do so. I could understand her being fearful of the speed at which her and Mikhail's relationship takes off. I also feel like if Mikhail had told Raven everything from the start she may have made better choices.

"I would trust you with my life, Mikhail, vampire or no. And I would trust you with the life of my children. You're arrogant and sometimes overbearing, but you could never be evil. If you are a vampire, then a vampire is not the creature of the legends."-Raven

My Raven:



"You have it all, don't you? Charm, you're so sexy you should be locked up, and you have a smile men would kill for. Or women, however you want to look at it." He bent to kiss her, one hand closing over her breast possessively. "You need to mention what a great lover I am. Men need to hear these things." "Really?" She arched an eyebrow at him. "I don't dare. You're already as arrogant as I can stand."-Raven and Mikhail

Mikhail is the prince and ruler of his people. He like all Carpathian males over the age of 200, has no emotions, and doesn't see in color. He is trying to save his race from dying out. The males need their Lifemates to bring light to their darkness or they can lose their soul and turn into a vampire. The problem is there are very few females left. Babies are being miscarried all the time. The ones that live are all male, and most babies don't make it past the first year of life. Mikhail can feel the darkness in him and he is ready to kill himself to keep from turning vampire. Mikhail finds Raven, his true Lifemate before his can end his life, but she is human. Mikhail is totally overwhelmed by all the feeling he has not felt in 100s of years beating down on him. I loved Mikhail's caveman over the top ways. He is arrogant, dominate, and at times can be dark. But he is also sexy, charming and can be really sweet. I get that he is use to getting his way because he is the prince and I get that he isn't use to feeling. I also love how Raven softens him up. How he tries to compromise to make her happy. I could understand why he came on so strong, the way he felt and the things he did. I felt I really got to know him, and I just loved him!

"I have great responsibilities, yes. My people count on me to keep our businesses running smoothly, to hunt down the assassins murdering our people. They even think I should single-handedly find out why we lose so many of our children in their first year of life. There is nothing special about me, Raven, except that I have a will of iron and I am willing to shoulder these burdens. But I have nothing for myself; I never have had. You give me a reason to go on. You are my heart, my soul, the very air I breathe. Without you, I have nothing but darkness, emptiness. Just because I have power, because I am strong, that does not mean I cannot feel utterly alone. It is cold and ugly to exist alone."-Mikhail
My Mikhail:


I can only promise you that I will do everything in my power to make you happy, to provide for you everything I can possibly give you. I ask for time to learn your ways, for room to make mistakes. If you need to hear words of love" - his mouth skimmed down the side of her face to find the corner of her mouth - "then I can say them to you in all honesty. I never believed I would have a woman of my own, a true lifemate. I have never wanted a woman for my own."-Mikhail

Mikhail and Raven's relationship is a bumpy road. They have a lot thrown at them in a short amount of time. There is a lot of clothes ripping can't get in you fast enough love making going on in this book! It was a total intsa-love, but I am ok with that, especially in paranormal romances. But what I loved more than their relationship and I loved Raven and Mikhail together was the Carpathian world. The premises of the series, the concept of Lifemates, all the characters. Everything just takes on a life of it's own and it feels like a real world. It totally mesmerized me. I not only fell in love with Mikhail and Raven. I fell in love with Father Hummer, Aidan, Jacques and OMG Gregori. My God I am madly in love with Gregori. He is so yummy, dark and brooding. I can't wait to get to his book and see the woman he loves put him in his place. Everything about this book and this series is amazing. If you haven't read it you should give it a try.

"Someone has to show you what love is, Mikhail. Not possession or ownership, but real unconditional love."-Raven



"You are a good man, Mikhail." She grinned impishly, her blue eyes teasing. "You just have too much power for your own good. But don't worry; I know this American girl. She's very disrespectful and she'll take all that arrogant starch out of you."-Raven

I wanna just take a moment to say that, I am more lenient with men in Paranormal, Biker, BDSM, and Dark romances. I hold them to a different set of rules and over look behavior's I would not ever tolerate in real life or in other romances. If I didn't I would never be able to read those genres. So please don't start with the mean comments. I say this because I have gotten some hateful comments, and personal messages over other books I loved (Twilight, Fifty Shades of Grey ect) lets all just be respectful of others opinions. If you hate a book I love that doesn't make you wrong and me right. If someone blast a book I loved, I'm not going to get on their review and tell them they are stupid or wrong, I'm just gonna respect it. Most of the time I will like their reviews and support them even if I disagree. And just because I overlook certain behaviors in a book and still loved it doesn't make me weak, or stupid. I am not setting women back, and you don't need to feel sorry for me. The book is just fictional, fantasy, it's not real. I would never put up with a man doing half the things I read just sayin'!




"I want to see you find a lifemate, Gregori, one like Raven. She will hold you in the palm of her hand." "If I ever find what you have, I will never allow her to risk herself. She will never go never danger, not even to feed. And she will not deft me."-Mikhail and Gregori



No comments:

Post a Comment