Thursday, March 5, 2020

Dark Desire

Book Review of Dark Desire (Carpathian Series)



Title:  Dark Desire

Series: Carpathian Series

Author: Christine Feehan

Date Published:  December 1st 2005

Date Read: June 13th  2012

The Blurb:
The stranger silently summons her from across the continents, across the seas. He whispers of eternal torment, of endless hunger...of dark, dangerous desires. And somehow American surgeon Shea O'Halloran can feel his anguish, sense his haunting aloneness, and she aches to heal him, to heal herself.

Drawn to the far Carpathian mountains, Shea finds a ravaged, raging man, a being like no other. And her soul trembles. For in his burning eyes, his icy heart, she recognizes the beloved stranger who's already become part of her. This imperious Carpathian male compels Shea to his side. But is she to be his healer...or his prey? His victim...or his mate? Is he luring her into madness...or will his dark desire make her whole?

My Review



5 Wild Man Stars

First read June 2012 Reread January 10, 2016
Reread January 22, 2017

Some Spoilers



"You aren't getting ready to bite me again, are you? I've got to tell you, there isn't a place on my body that isn't sore." She flashed him a wan smile. "Just out of curiosity, your rabies shots are up to date, aren't they?" -Shea

Dark Desire the 2nd book in the Dark Series was better then the first book. This book was darker, but I loved Jacques and Shea more than I did Raven and Mikhail which is saying a lot. I connected more to them as a couple. This is my 4th time reading this book/series and it still manages to captivate me. I feel like I learn something new each time. It never gets stale or boring. That is the beauty of this entertaining series, it seems to suck me into a world that is so compelling that it never gets old to me.

I know little of my past, but almost from the beginning of my imprisonment I have known of you. I waited. I called you to my side. I hated you for allowing my suffering to continue. She caught his face in her hands, suddenly anxious that he believe her. "I didn't know. I swear to you, I didn't know. I never would have left you there." -Jacques and Shea

My Jacques:


"I was just thinking what a vulnerable, boyish look you have in your sleep. Now I think you're a spoiled brat."-Shea
My poor Jacques. In this book he got captured, tortured, and then buried alive for 7 years. Jacques is no longer the sexy, charming, carefree, laid-back character from book 1. He was a dark, damaged, and broken man. Barely a shadow of his former self. No memories of his past life. His mind was fragmented and he was barely hanging on to his grip on reality. I loved Jacques in book 1 and I fell more in love with him in this book. He had such courage as he tried to fight his way back from the brink, and figure out who he use to be. And even though he was different in this book he still felt like Jacques. I love that he wasn't afraid to show his vulnerable side to Shea. To tell her how much he loved and needed her. Of course even though he was darker, he was still sweet, sexy, playful, and charming!

I want you with every cell in my body, with my mind and my heart. Your soul is the other half of mine. When you are with me, I feel. Joy, desire, anger, even laughter. You are my lifemate. I have waited over eight hundred years to find you. I could not see color until you came into my life.-Jacques

My Shea:


"Want me enough, Shea. Want me with more than just your body. Let me into your heart." His mouth fastened on hers, not gently but wildly, hungrily. The hunger was in his eyes when he raised his head to look down at her. "Open your mind to me. Want me there, as you want me in your body. Want me coming to you wild with a need only you can satisfy. Take me into your soul and let me live there." -Jacques

I loved Shea. Shea has had a hard life and no parents to depend on. Her mom was like a shell of a person, Shea raised herself. Shea has a photographic memory and was very smart. She worked hard and became a Doctor(surgeon) at a very young age. Shea was a thinker, she doesn't do well with emotions. I love that she had a playful sense of humour. Brave and caring she did everything she could to help Jacques, even after he attacked her when she first found him and he was out of his mind. There was just something special about Shea that I can't put my finger on. I just found her endearing.

"Sometimes, wild man, you break my heart," -Shea


"I was not aware that you were not Carpathian. I was not capable of knowing much at all at that time. I inadvertently converted you. I would like to say I am sorry, but in truth, I am not. I did not know what I was doing, and I hope I would have done it differently had I known better, but you are my life, Shea. There is no existence for me without you. I would have nothing to live for except revenge, and I would become the undead. I do not want to be vampire, preying on humans and Carpathians alike. You are my salvation." She pushed him away from her. The rain swept over her face as she lifted emerald eyes filled with laughter to his. "That's it? That's your big apology? I can see you're not going to be a candy-and-flowers man."-Jacques and Shea

Jacques and Shea together were enthralling and sweet. The way they need and heal each other was beautiful. They had a very strong connection. My heart just ached for Jacques and all the pain he went through. I felt that Shea was a great and supportive lifemate for him. They had a rough start in their relationship. They were both blind to what was happening, Jacques not remembering and Shea just not knowing, but they found their way together. I loved getting to see Mikhail and Raven again and getting caught up on their life since this book takes place 25 years after the first book. I love the news that we find out about Raven! We get to meet Julian(Aidan's twin) in this book. Gregori of course was the show-stealer for me, but he is my all time favorite of the whole series so really no shocker there. Gregori is just so hard and arrogant, that I just can't help but love him and want to see him get taking down a peg or two. A great read in a magical series. The Dark series is one of my top 5 favorites and will always hold a special place in my heart.

You, are my lifemate. I claim you as my lifemate. I belong to you. I offer my life for you. I give you my protection, my allegiance, my heart, my soul, and my body. I take into my keeping the same that is yours. Your life, happiness, and welfare will be cherished and placed above my own for all time. You are my lifemate, bound to me for all eternity and always in my care.




No comments:

Post a Comment