Monday, April 3, 2017

Tempt Me at Twilight

Book Review of Tempt Me At Twilight (The Hathaways Series)



Title: Tempt Me At Twilight 

Series: The Hathaways Series


Author: Lisa Kleypas


Date Published:  September 22nd 2009


Date Read:   April 16, 2016


The Blurb:

He was everything she'd sworn to avoid.


Poppy Hathaway loves her unconventional family, though she longs for normalcy. Then fate leads to a meeting with Harry Rutledge, an enigmatic hotel owner and inventor with wealth, power, and a dangerous hidden life. When their flirtation compromises her own reputation, Poppy shocks everyone by accepting his proposal—only to find that her new husband offers his passion, but not his trust.

And she was everything he needed.

Harry was willing to do anything to win Poppy—except to open his heart. All his life, he has held the world at arm’s length…but the sharp, beguiling Poppy demands to be his wife in every way that matters. Still, as desire grows between them, an enemy lurks in the shadows. Now if Harry wants to keep Poppy by his side, he must forge a true union of body and soul, once and for all...
 


My Review



4 The Princess and The Villain Stars


“Harry. You’re not supposed to court a girl by telling her you’re the villain.”-Poppy 




****Spoilers****


“I’m sure I’ve read too many fairy tales. The prince is supposed to slay the dragon, defeat the villain, and marry the servant girl, and carry her off to his castle.” “Fairy tales are best read as entertainment,” Harry said. “Not as a guide to life.” -Poppy and Harry 


Temp Me At Twilight, the 3rd book in The Hathaway Series, was a great read. 3 books into this series and I am still all smiles. What can I say I love the Hathaways. Every one of them. And with each new book I read in this series my love for them grows. I love that even though Poppy and Harry's love story starts out rough, and Harry wasn't really a sweet romance guy that I still fell in love with this couple. And I love that their love story starts with a mischievous ferret.

“If I were going to molest you,” he pointed out, “I would have done so by now.” Her flush deepened at his bluntness. “So you say. But for all I know, you could be a very slow molester.”-Harry and Poppy 



“You were courted by a boy, who had to do as he was told.” His hot breath feathered against her lips as he whispered, “You should try it with a man, who needs no one’s permission.”-Harry 

I really enjoyed that the hero was more of a villain in this book. Harry wanted Poppy so much that he wasn't above cheating, stealing, and fighting dirty to have her. Harry met Poppy after Bea's ferret ran off with a love letter from Michael to Poppy. Harry wanted Poppy and when he found out Poppy had feelings for another man, Michael(who had been secretly dating Poppy because his father wouldn't approve of the match) he did what any good, kindhearted man would...... He told Michael's daddy! Daddy disapproved and Michael being the little bitch that he was didn't fight for Poppy, but instead broke up with her. Leaving Harry to swoop in and take her. I loved that Harry wasn't your typical hero. Harry had been raised with no love and neglected so he didn't show emotions. He came off as cold, selfish, and hard at first. But as the story goes on you can't help but fall in love with him. I also loved that even though he softens with Poppy's love, he never regrets how he stole Poppy from Michael. 

“I’m everything they told you and worse,” Harry said without hesitation. “But what they didn’t tell you is that you are the most desirable and fascinating woman I’ve ever met, and I would do anything to have you.”-Harry 



“I will never forget that you took away the man I loved and put yourself in his place. I’m not certain I can ever forgive you for that. The only thing I am absolutely certain of is that I will never love you. Do you still want to marry me?” “Yes,” Harry said without hesitation. “I’ve never wanted to be loved. And God knows no one’s done it yet.”-Poppy and Harry 

Poppy just wanted a normal, calm life. She thought she would have that with Michael. She loved Michael and it crushed her that he broke off their relationship. When she went to a ball to show everyone that she wasn't Michael's off cast she ends up dancing with Harry. Getting upset and not wanting to cry in front of everyone she asked Harry to take her for fresh air. While outside Harry kissed Poppy and they were seen. Leaving Poppy with the choice to be a fallen woman or to marry Harry. She married Harry even after finding out about Harry telling Michael's father, but deceit made for a rough marriage. I loved that it took awhile for Poppy to give her heart to Harry. She didn't just forgive him and hop into his bed. She didn't even kiss him. And she let her displeasure of his actions be known. But Poppy was a loving, happy kind of person and the more she was around Harry and saw the real him when he let his walls down the more she fell in love with her husband. 

“I can’t. I’ll never be sorry about it. Because if I hadn’t done it, you’d be his now. And he only wanted you if it was easy for him. But I want you any way I can get you. Not because you’re beautiful or clever or kind or adorable, although the devil knows you’re all those things. I want you because there’s no one else like you, and I don’t ever want to start a day without seeing you.”-Harry 



“I want you to be happy, you exasperating man. I want you to understand that I love you for exactly what you are.”-Poppy 

I loved that Harry and Poppy's love was slower to come. The lust was there but Harry had to earn her trust. When the love came it was beautiful, full of passion, and kindness. Love changed Harry for the better. I will be honest, I didn't feel the least bit sorry for Poppy's ex Michael. A real man wouldn't let daddy stop him from being with the woman he loved. I couldn't stand Michael. I thought he was a coward, and was glad that after Poppy married Harry, he suffered. Just sayin! I loved getting to see the other Hathaways in this book and getting to catch up with Cam, Amelia, and their son. There was some big and happy news for Kev and Win too. I was really enjoying the playing between Cat and Leo. I'm excited to start their book. I missed Bea a bit as she and her animal freak show kinda took a backseat in this book. Bea's story is the one I am looking forward to most. Great read, great series!!

“Because I have so much to lose now. But I’m going to love you anyway, because there doesn’t seem to be any way to stop doing it.” He kissed her forehead, eyelids, cheeks. “I have so much love for you, I could fill rooms with it. Buildings. You’re surrounded by it wherever you go, you walk through it, breathe it . . . it’s in your lungs, and under your tongue, and between your fingers and toes . . .”-Harry 



No comments:

Post a Comment