Sunday, March 3, 2019

My Favorite Cowboy

Book Review of My Favorite Cowboy (Heart of Texas Series)


Title:My Favorite Cowboy


Series: Heart of Texas Series


Author: Donna Grant


Date Published:  February 26th 2019


Date Read: March 3, 2019


The Blurb:


Audrey Martinez is a veterinarian who has devoted her whole life to the care and protection of horses―even if doing so leaves her little time for meeting a man. Who would have thought that a strange case of criminal horseplay would lead her to falling deeply, wildly in love? If only the man who makes her heart race faster than a wild mustang would let his guard down, that is. . .

Caleb Harper is no ordinary cowboy. Sure, he wears his hat, boots, and jeans like a second skin, and displays an easygoing charm that comes from years of working on the ranch. But with his military background, and Army buddies at his side, he is tried-and-true Texas tough. Audrey knows she can trust a man like Caleb to help her save horses. But can Caleb trust himself to resist his attraction to Audrey―or will the sparks of their desire end up getting them burned?

My Review




3 Abandonment Issues Stars



May Have Mild Spoilers

OK I'm gonna be honest here and I'm gonna try not to spoil anything while letting you know why this book was just alright for me. After reading Cowboy, Cross My Heart I was really looking forward to Caleb's book. I hate to say it, but the book didn't live up to my expectations. No not the book really, it was Caleb and Audrey relationship that didn't work for me. I actually liked the plot which is why I gave this book 3 stars instead of less. Those stars were for the plot and catching up with Naomi and Brice. So let me lay out what didn't work for me with Caleb and Audrey's love. 


1. They had an unrealistic insta-love. They fell in love in like 2 days, however it didn't feel like love to me. It just felt forced. 

2. I got really annoyed at the amount of days both Caleb and Audrey let go between talking to each other. Let me give a few examples. After they sleep together, they have a bit of a fight, and kinda make up(I'm trying not to give away spoilers). Then there is an misunderstanding, and instead of Caleb going after her he waits days. Days! Letting her sit there in pain thinking all kinds "he don't want me" thoughts. Then when he does finally come to her and tells her he wants her, she does the same damn thing. As the days past, I found myself getting more and more pissed off. They both just acted like cowards. That's my second biggest pet peeve in books next to cheating. If they would have only waited once, or for one day I would have been able to understand it, but it was too much too long. 

3. They spent more time apart or fighting their feels than together. They maybe spent a total of 24 hours actually being together the rest of the time it was drama and fear. So after such little time I don't get how they fell in love at all. 

4. lastly I didn't buy how quickly Caleb got over his mommy issues. Which was one of the reasons he feared letting Audrey into his heart. 


Still I liked the plot. I really liked Maddy, Audrey's sister. I liked both Caleb and Audrey as individuals just didn't feel their relationship, which bummed me out. My heart broke for Brice and Naomi. I need them to get some good news in the next book. Overall this was an okay read for me. Donna Grant is a great writer, but this book just had a pet peeve that drove me nuts, so even though I didn't like it as much as the other I will read more from Donna Grant. 





No comments:

Post a Comment