Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Love in the Afternoon

Book Review of Love In The Afternoon  (The Hathaways Series)


Title: Love In The Afternoon

Series: The Hathaways Series


Author: Lisa Kleypas


Date Published:  June 29th 2010


Date Read:   April 18, 2016


The Blurb:

She harbors a secret yearning.


As a lover of animals and nature, Beatrix Hathaway has always been more comfortable outdoors than in the ballroom. Even though she participated in the London season in the past, the classic beauty and free-spirited Beatrix has never been swept away or seriously courted... and she has resigned herself to the fate of never finding love. Has the time come for the most unconventional of the Hathaway sisters to settle for an ordinary man—just to avoid spinsterhood? 

He is a world-weary cynic.

Captain Christopher Phelan is a handsome, daring soldier who plans to marry Beatrix's friend, the vivacious flirt Prudence Mercer, when he returns from fighting abroad. But, as he explains in his letters to Pru, life on the battlefield has darkened his soul—and it's becoming clear that Christopher won't come back as the same man. When Beatrix learns of Pru's disappointment, she decides to help by concocting Pru's letters to Christopher for her. Soon the correspondence between Beatrix and Christopher develops into something fulfilling and deep... and when Christopher comes home, he's determined to claim the woman he loves. What began as Beatrix's innocent deception has resulted in the agony of unfulfilled love—and a passion that can't be denied.


My Review




4 Mistaken Identity Stars



*Spoilers*


“From the Times. It’s reported on every day. Don’t you read the papers?” “Not the political section. My parents say it’s ill-bred for a young lady to take an interest in such things.” “My family discusses politics every night at dinner, and my sisters and I all take part.” Beatrix paused deliberately before adding with an impish grin, “We even have opinions.” Prudence’s eyes widened. “My goodness. Well, I shouldn’t be surprised. Everyone knows your family is . . . different.”-Bea and Pru 


Love in the Afternoon is the last book in the Hathaways series......NO! I don't want it to be over. As far as ending a series goes this book was great, but I really am not ready to let go of my Hathaways. I am abnormally attached to this series and this fictional family. 

Families are grieving for the lives I’ve taken. Sons, brothers, fathers. I’ve earned a place in hell for the things I’ve done, and the war’s barely started. I’m changing, and not for the better. The man you knew is gone for good, and I fear you may not like his replacement nearly so well.-Christopher in his letter to Pru

 

You ask if there is a peaceful place in the world, and I regret to say that it is not Stony Cross. Recently Mr. Mawdsley’s donkey escaped from his stall, raced down the road, and somehow found his way into an enclosed pasture. Mr. Caird’s prized mare was innocently grazing when the ill-bred seducer had his way with her. Now it appears the mare has conceived, and a feud is raging between Caird, who demands financial compensation, and Mawdsley, who insists that had the pasture fencing been in better repair, the clandestine meeting would never have occurred. Worse still, it has been suggested that the mare is a shameless lightskirt and did not try nearly hard enough to preserve her virtue.-Bea acting as Pru to Christopher in her first letter to him 

While visiting her friend Pru, Bea Hathaway found out that the man that had been courting Pru, Captain Christopher Phelan, wrote Pru a letter of his changes since going to war. Pru being the shallow person she was decided she wouldn't write Mr. Phelan back since he wrote about ugly and boring things that she cared nothing for. Bea ask to see the letter as it spoke of a dog the Captain found. While reading the letter her heart ached for the once shallow Captain who was much changed and hurting from all the ugliness of war. So she ask Pru if she could write him to try to help cheer him up and sign it as Pru. Pru agreed but didn't much care either way. What started out as kind gesture turns into deep feelings of love. When Captain Phelan returns from war will he find out that it wasn't Pru writing him? Will he hate Bea for tricking him?

“Captain Phelan and I dislike each other,” Beatrix told her. “In fact, we’re sworn enemies.” Christopher glanced at her quickly. “When did we become sworn enemies?” Ignoring him, Beatrix said to her sister, “Regardless, he’s staying for tea.” “Wonderful,” Amelia said equably. “Why are you enemies, dear?” “I met him yesterday while I was out walking,” Beatrix explained. “And he called Medusa a ‘garden pest,’ and faulted me for bringing her to a picnic.”-Bea, Christopher, and Amelia 



“I don’t think you should blame yourself,” she said. “But it doesn’t matter what I believe. You’ll have to come to that conclusion on your own. It wasn’t your fault that you were faced with a terrible choice. You must give yourself enough time to get better.”-Bea 

Bea I adored. I loved all her little quirks. She had a true love for animals and nature. She was outspoken, opinionated, and a little wild. Bea had a sense of humor and she was very sweet. I love the way Bea was with Christopher. I loved that she would use her dog training voice on him. Christopher I loved at first. Then I got a little pissed at him . Then I loved him again so uh yeah! Me and Christopher had a up and down relationship. I ached for all he went through in war, but when he first got home he would act rude or judgmental to Bea and it made me want to thump him. I love that when he realized it was Bea that had wrote the letters that he told her it was her he loved. I also loved that he wanted her before he knew she wrote the letters. 

“No, it wasn’t a game . . . Pru showed me your letter, and she said she wasn’t going to answer it. And I had to. I felt as if it had been written for me. It was only supposed to be once. But then you wrote back, and I let myself answer just once more . . . and then one more time, and another . . .” “How much of it was the truth?” “All of it,” Beatrix burst out. “Except for signing Pru’s name. The rest of it was real. If you believe nothing else, please believe that.”-Bea and Christopher 



“Talk to me. Would you really have let me marry Prudence?” “If you seemed happy with her. If she was the one you wanted.” “I wanted you.” He kissed her, his mouth strong and punishing. “It nearly drove me mad, looking for the things I loved in her and not finding them. And then beginning to see them in you.”-Christopher and Bea 

Bea and Christopher had a powerful connection. Bea was able to heal his battered soul and bring him peace. Christopher was able to accept and love Bea for who she was. He made her feel safe. I want to say that I hated Pru with a deep passion. I wanted her suffer. She was such a selfish, shallow, air headed bitch that every time she showed up in this book I wanted to scream. I was glad that Bea stole Christopher from Pru. I wish she would have did worse. I know, I'm mean. Sorry not sorry! I loved how the series wrapped up. Love seeing all the other couples and their growing families. I loved the HEA that Bea and Christopher got as well. It has been a really long time since I got a book hangover, but I have one now. I finished this book yesterday and put off writing the review because I wasn't ready for it to be over. Now I feel like I am having Lisa Kleypas withdrawal. I can't believe there will be no more Hathaways. How will I know if they have more babies????? I loved every moment of this series, loved this family , and I love Lisa Kleypas. 

“I know that she steals things unintentionally. She wears breeches, and references Greek philosophers, and has read far too many veterinary manuals. I know that she keeps the kinds of pets that other people pay to have exterminated.” Thinking of Beatrix, he felt an ache of yearning. “I know that she could never reside in London, that she could only thrive by living close to nature. I know that she is compassionate, intelligent, and brave, and the only thing she truly fears is being abandoned. And I would never do that, because I happen to love her to distraction.”-Christopher 



No comments:

Post a Comment