Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The Mane Event

Book Review of The Mane Event (Pride Series)



Title: Howl For It

Series: Pride Series


Author: Shelly Laurenston And Cynthia Eden


Date Published: August 28th 2012 


Date Read:   August 24 to 25, 2015


The Blurb:

Christmas Pride

How come all the good-looking ones are insane?
That's what runs through NYPD cop Desiree "Dez" MacDermot's mind the minute she hooks up again with her childhood buddy, Mace Llewellyn. It isn't just the way he stares at her with those too-sexy gold eyes―as if he could devour her on the spot. Or the six-four, built-like-a-Navy Seal bod-o-death. It isn't even that he sniffs her neck and purrs, making her entire body tingle. It's more about that disconcerting, shifting-from-man-to-lion thing that unhinges her...and makes her want more.

Mace likes making Dez crazy. In fact, he likes her any way he can get her―in bed, on the desk, here, now, again. Together, they'd always been trouble, but Dez has no idea just how good trouble can feel...
Shaw's Tail
Brendon Shaw, hotel owner and lion shifter, has seen better days. He's been beaten, had a gun to the back of his head, and had to be rescued by a Pack of shape-shifting wolves. He didn't think he'd survive the night, much less find the woman of his dreams. And he never thought the woman of his dreams would have a Tennessee accent and wear cowboy boots. Once he sets his sights on her, the predator in him is ready to pounce and never let go.

Ronnie Lee Reed is ready to change her life, and New York City is the place where any girl―even one who runs with a Pack―can redefine herself. First order of business: find a mate, settle down, and stop using men for sex. Even big, gorgeous, lion-shifting, oh-my-what-big-um-paws-you-have men. Then again...

My Review

4 Roaring Stars 



*Spoilers*

The Mane Event is two stories in one so I will do two mini reviews, one for each story. 


Christmas Pride

“So, hoss. Have you actually told her you’re in love with her?” “She won’t let me. When I tried, she threw me down a flight of stairs.” “And you’re not concerned about that?” “There weren’t that many steps.”

Christmas Pride is Mace and Dez's story. Mace Llewellyn is a Lion Shifter and a Navy Seal. Desiree "Dez" MacDermot is human Cop. Mace and Dez were best friends when they were 14 years old. Then Dez and her family moved. Years later, Fresh out of the Navy, Mace decided He is going to hunt down Dez the girl he has been in love with since he was a teen and make her his! He doesn't want to be a pride breed male, he wants Just Dez. He doesn't have to look too hard, his first day home he finds her investigating the murder of one of the shifters in his pride. Mace is awesome. He is funny and sexy as hell. He knows what he wants and he goes for it. Tricky kitty that he is. Dez is just okay for me. She is very funny . Get her mad and she goes Bronx ghetto which I love because I can relate. I grew up in the ghetto of St. Louis and I go ghetto when I am mad too . Dez also drove me crazy the way she was pushing Mace away. Their story is very funny and they are hot together. The only thing I didn't like was just Dez's fear of commitment. 

Few Quotes from Dez and Mace's story:

“I didn’t even do anything.” “You did ask her if she killed Petrov. I think your exact words were, ‘You whacked him, didn’t you? You sadistic bitch.’” “Sadistic heifer. And it was just a question.”


Smitty gazed at her. “You sure have some pretty eyes, darlin’.” Dez looked startled, then she beamed. “You are as bad as he is.” Mace realized in that second the two of them were having a “moment.” Well, that’s not acceptable. “Jesus, Dez. What’s that?” Dez, following where Mace pointed, turned to look behind her. While he had her temporarily distracted, he took his other hand, wrapped it around the back of Smitty’s neck, and slammed the man’s head into Dez’s desk. When she snapped back around, Mace watched her innocently, Smitty gripped his forehead, and Dez’s partner began to hysterically laugh. “What did you do?” Mace blinked. “Nothing.”


“When I get loose I’m gonna kick your gringo ass all ova this fuckin’ kitchen!”

******************************************
Shaw's Tail

“I’m relatively positive we’re not supposed to be doing this.” “Who says?” “The laws of nature and God.”
“Laws are made to be broken and God just wants us to be happy.” Fucking this woman would make him so damn happy. “Come on. Let’s go break some laws.”


Shaw's Tail picks up where Christmas Pride leaves off. It is Brendon Shaw and Ronnie Lee Reed's story. Shaw is a lion shifter. Ronnie Lee is a Wolf Shifter. Shaw is beat nearly to death at the end of Christmas Pride. The smith wolf pack, Mace, and dez save his life and take him to a shifter hospital. While being saved Ronnie lee Tells him that he will be ok and that he is safe. He falls for her right there. Ronnie Lee gets Lion sitting duty at the hospital while everyone else goes off for Christmas. While at the hospital Ronnie finds Some beat up humans with guns in shaw's room and she has to take him to her aunt's house to keep him safe. Shaw wants the sexy wolf shifter that stayed by his side while he healed. He wants her forever, but Ronnie so doesn't do long term, besides they are just too different. One a Lion one a wolf. I liked this story more than Christmas Pride. I love Shaw he is funny, sweet, and very hot. I like Ronnie Lee she is funny as hell, and a bit of a wild free spirit. They are flippin hilarious together and have some hot chemistry. 

here are a few quotes from Shaw and Ronnie's story:

“You mean the right wolf?” She wanted to get the distinctions clear because she didn’t much like the expression on that gorgeous face. “Why limit yourself?” “Mostly because I don’t want funny-looking children.” Shaw rolled his eyes. “Don’t tell me you believe that breedist bullshit. Just because two different breeds mate doesn’t mean—” She had her wallet out and her pictures unfurled before he could even finish. “One summer we stayed with Sissy Mae’s cousins in North Carolina. Momma’s Smith Pack, daddy’s a black leopard. This is their daughter when shifted.” Ronnie handed Shaw the picture of her, Sissy Mae, and her cousin lounging around many years ago after the Fourth of July family hunt. Shaw jerked back. “Christ.” “Yeah. Exactly. Do you think that snaggle tooth is attractive?”



“Why? You ashamed of your new boyfriend?” “He’s not my boyfriend.” “I’m not?” Shocked, Ronnie turned to a pouting Shaw. “What?” “Oh my God! This is the most amazing thing I’ve ever tasted.” Ignoring Dez’s orgasmic reaction to their dessert, Ronnie leaned forward. “What are you talking about?” “I’m hurt. I got the marriage license for nothing.” “The marriage—Have you lost your mind?” “I already added you to my will. And, of course, our future snaggle-toothed children. All ten of them.”


Both stories are cute and funny I just wished there would have been more Paranormal world development. I just kept waiting to find out more about this shifter world but didn't feel like I got much as far as details go so it kinda made the book feel like something was missing to me. I did really enjoy this book and I will be reading the rest of the series. 



No comments:

Post a Comment