Sunday, June 7, 2015

The Madness Of Lord Ian Mackenzie

      Book Review of The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie                                       (Mackenzie & McBrides)



Title: The Madness Of Lord Ian Mackenzie

Series: Mackenzie & McBrides/ Highland Pleasures

Author: Jennifer Ashley

Date Published: May 1st 2009

Date Read:   May 02, 2015

The Blurb:
The year is 1881. Meet the Mackenzie family--rich, powerful, dangerous, eccentric. A lady couldn't be seen with them without ruin. Rumors surround them--of tragic violence, of their mistresses, of their dark appetites, of scandals that set England and Scotland abuzz. 

The youngest brother, Ian, known as the Mad Mackenzie, spent most of his young life in an asylum, and everyone agrees he is decidedly odd. He's also hard and handsome and has a penchant for Ming pottery and beautiful women. 

Beth Ackerley, widow, has recently come into a fortune. She has decided that she wants no more drama in her life. She was raised in drama--an alcoholic father who drove them into the workhouse, a frail mother she had to nurse until her death, a fussy old lady she became constant companion to. No, she wants to take her money and find peace, to travel, to learn art, to sit back and fondly remember her brief but happy marriage to her late husband. 

And then Ian Mackenzie decides he wants her. 

My Review


                   
                       5 Crazy in love Stars 



“When I saw you, I knew I had to take you away from him. He had no idea what you were worth, just like he can’t price the damn bowls. He’s a philistine.”

Let me just say that with Historical Romances I either love em or I hate em. I loved this one so much! OMG it was so different and freaking awesome that I couldn't put it down. Hell I didn't even want to stop long enough to write this review. I wanted to just move on to the next book in this series... This was such a beautiful and heartwarming story about Two flawed people finding happiness with each other just the way they are!

“It’s part of the very intriguing package that is Ian Mackenzie.”


What this book is about 

Beth Ackerley is a widow who just inherited enough money to be set for life. Engaged to a man she thinks is respectable, Beth is ready to start a drama free life and to find a little bit of happiness since the loss of her beloved first husband. Everything changes when she meets Lord Ian Mackenzie at the opera. While shaking her hand he slips a note into her glove. When she reads it, it tells her that her soon to be husband has women on the side and has a slave fetish. Upset by the news she flees the Opera to get fresh air, where Ian grabs her and asks her to marry him instead! She knows what everyone says about Lord Ian Mackenzie (that he is crazy), but she feels drawn to him. Then he kisses her and she doesn't care if he is crazy she just wants more! What is a respectable woman to do? Run for her life or take her chances with Mad Mackenzie.


“Belong to me.” “No one here to dispute that at the moment.” “Always mine. Always, Beth.”


Ian:



“Is this what love feels like?” he whispered to her. “I don’t like it, my Beth. It hurts too much.”

Ian stole my heart. He is one of the most endearing and memorable characters I have read in a long time. Ian is considered mad. It is obvious that Ian has Asperger's Syndrome, of course back then they didn't know what any of that is so he was labeled mad, beat , tossed in an asylum to be tortured with electric shock therapy and, beat some more until his father dies and his brother the Duke gets him released. Ian believes he can't love and he doesn't understand others emotions, he also has a lot of pint up rage, but Ian is a fighter. A overcomer that knows he doesn't fit in, but makes a life for himself anyways. I love him with Beth how hard he tries to understand what she is feeling, trying hard to look her in the eyes and he even tries to make a joke or two. He was a pure and in-depth Character that you can never forget!


“We don’t fit in, you and me,” he said. “We’re both oddities no one knows what to do with. But we fit together.” He took her hand, pressed her palm to his, then laced their fingers through each other’s. “We fit.”


“Your being with me makes it stop. It’s like the Ming bowls—when I touch them and feel them, everything stops. Nothing matters. You are the same. That is why I brought you here, to keep you with me, where you can please make . .. everything . . . stop.”


“For God’s sake.” Ian spun away, unable to stand still. “I’m not your Thomas, your vicar. I never will be. I know you’ll never look at me the way you looked at him.” She stared at him, white-faced. “What do you mean?” He turned back. “You look at me like I’m the Mad Mackenzie. It’s in the back of your mind all the time.” He tapped the side of her head. “You can never forget about my madness, and you pity me for it.”



Beth:

“I am a wicked, wicked woman,” she murmured. “Kiss me again.”




Beth is perfect for Ian. She is sweet and loving. She is also strong willed and stands up for Ian and what she believes in. She is very outspoken and said what is on her mind! She's had a hard life which gives her courage and a backbone, but it makes her not fit in so well in social settings. I loved how Beth loved and accepted Ian just the way he is not trying to fix or change him. She makes him laugh, smile and she believes in him. She also really wants Ian and is not shy about it. 


“Explain to me what loving feels like, Beth. I want to understand.” “The love for another’s body. But also love for their heart and their mind, and for all the silly things they do, no matter how absurd. Your world brightens when they walk into a room, dims when they leave it again. You want to be with the beloved so you can see him and touch him and hear his voice, but you want his happiness as well. It’s selfish, but not entirely so.”


“I am Ian’s wife because I choose to be,” she said. “Whether we live in a grand mansion or a tiny boardinghouse, it makes no difference.”


“I like it,” she said. “I love how hard your staff is, yet the skin is silken. I remember how it feels under my tongue.”


“I’m the Mad Mackenzie.” Beth pressed his face between her hands, anger suddenly rising. “That is other people’s explanation, because they don’t understand you.”


“Never mind. You are a rogue and a scoundrel, and I love every single second of it.”


Beth and Ian are a sweet couple and you could feel the strong connection they have like they are real people. They have some steamy chemistry and both really enjoy carnal relations. The other Mackenzie brothers are loud, rude , manly and totally lovable. This story touched me deeply. I have a niece with autism so reading a book where pure love overcomes differences and difficulties to live happily ever after gives me hope that someday she will get hers too. 

“My Beth,” he whispered, his breath hot on her swollen lips. “Thank you.” “For what?” Beth couldn’t stop crying, but she smiled, her face aching with it. “Setting me free.”


I can't wait to read the others. Below I leave my favorite moment in the book:

“I love you,” he said. Beth caught her breath, and sudden tears blurred her vision. “Love you,” Ian repeated. His gaze bore into hers harder than Hart’s ever could hope to. “Love you, love you, love you, love you, love you love you love you...” “Ian.” Beth laughed. “Love you,” he murmured against her lips, her face, against the curve of her neck. “Love you.” “I love you, too. Are you going to say it all night?” “I’ll say it until I’m in you so hard I can’t speak.” “I suppose I’ll have to put up with that. It might be difficult, though I wouldn’t mind finding out.” He paused. “Are you joking?” Beth laughed until she slid out of the seat, but when she landed on the floor, Ian was right beside her. “Yes. I was joking.” She caught lan’s lapels in her hands. “I believe carnality is definitely called for. Perhaps we should send for Curry to pull out the bed.”








No comments:

Post a Comment