Thursday, September 10, 2015

Hanover House

Book Review of Hanover House (Hanover House Chronicles)


Title: Hanover House

Series: Hanover House Chronicles 

Author: Brenda Novak

Date Published:    September 1st 2015

Date Read: September 9, 2015

The Blurb: 
Welcome to Hanover House….

Psychiatrist Evelyn Talbot has dedicated her life to solving the mysteries of the psychopathic mind. Why do psychopaths act as they do? How do they come to be? Why don’t they feel any remorse for the suffering they cause? And are there better ways of spotting and stopping them?

After having been kidnapped, tortured and left for dead when she was just a teenager—by her high school boyfriend—she’s determined to understand how someone she trusted so much could turn on her. So she’s established a revolutionary new medical health center in the remote town of Hilltop, Alaska, where she studies the worst of the worst.

But not everyone in Hilltop is excited to have Hanover House and its many serial killers in the area. Alaskan State Trooper, Sergeant Amarok, is one of them. And yet he can’t help feeling bad about what Evelyn has been through. He’s even attracted to her. Which is partly why he worries.

He knows what could happen if only one little thing goes wrong…

My Review



5 Psychopath Stars 


*Warning there are things in this book that may make some people uncomfortable. I just wanna give a heads up there is talk of rape, murder, and kidnapping in this book, but not real explicit or detailed* 


“What if I want you?” “Definitely do yourself a favor and look for someone else,” she said. “In case you haven’t noticed, I’m totally screwed up.” 

OMG!! HOLY SHIT!!!!!!! Wow. I am straight trippin right now. OMG OMG OMG *Deep Breath* Okay so Hanover House is the Prequel novella for the Hanover House Chronicles and OMG it blew me away. Brenda Novak did such a good job on this book that I know I am now hooked on this series and will go through hell waiting for each damn book to come out. Cuzz you know, patience and me we don't hang. (kinda like me and proper grammar) 

“Going to get a burger with me is harmless.” She looked slightly troubled as she stared up at him. “But what I feel when I look at you isn’t.” 


What this book is about

When Evelyn Talbot was 16 years old her boyfriend Jasper, who she dated for months, loved, gave her virginity to, killed her 3 best friends and then kidnapped her, raped, tortured, and cut her throat leaving Evelyn for dead. Jasper with the help of his parents got away and disappeared. 20 years later and Dr. Evelyn Talbot a Psychiatrist has dedicated her life to trying to find out why psychopaths do the things they do, how they think, and more importantly is there signs that can identify a psychopath so they can be stopped before hurting others. Through her hard work, Evelyn is establishing a new medical center in Alaska, where she is going to house the worst psychopaths to study. Some of the residents of Hilltop Alaska are not happy with Dr. Talbot bringing the worst psychos to their small town. Alaskan State Trooper, Sergeant Amarok is one of the ones that doesn't want Dr Talbot's medical center in his town. He also doesn't like the idea of Evelyn there with all those dangerous killers. It doesn't help that Amarok is into Evelyn because that just makes him feel protective of her. Evelyn has made it clear she doesn't do romance. She can't, not after all she has lived through. Will Amarok be able to get Evelyn to trust him. Will he be able to get her to give them a shot and will he be able to keep her safe when her ex boyfriend Jasper shows up to finish what he started 20 years ago?

“Just give me a chance,” he said softly. “Isn’t it a little premature for...for this?” she asked. “You barely know me.” “I figure, in our situation, it’s especially important not to play games. I’m putting my heart out there, trying to make it easy for you. That’s why I’m telling you so soon. I’ll help you get through whatever your issues are. I just need you to try and trust again.” “I’ll think about it,” she responded and fled.


“Nice job on the zero to sixty in nanoseconds, full-on openmouthed blow-my-mind kiss, by the way. Your skills in that area won’t require any work at all.” 


There was so much packed into this novella. The plot was so good. I was drawn into it instantly. I loved Evelyn and Amarok both. They both are very realistic and lovable characters. I could totally understand where Evelyn was coming from. I could feel her pain, fear, and her determination to not let it stop her from living and making a difference in the world through her work. Amarok was sweet and sexy. He didn't push Evelyn, but let her go at her own pace. He gave her understanding and support. Their relationship in this book is a sweet, slow burn and I believe just getting started. The psychopaths in this book are creepy as hell. Especially Jasper! OMG Jasper the super skin crawling crazy evil bad guy. I was on edge the whole book. I couldn't read it fast enough. It was so good I couldn't even stop to cook dinner or worry about things like feeding people. I had to know what happened next(thank God I have a sweet husband who loves me and knows how to cook)instead I powered straight through. Now I have to wait until September 2016 for the next book Whiteout. WHY?????? Why do you make me wait? That is so wrong!!!


I am so not good at waiting. September 2016 hmm. Whatever I'll wait. Cuzz well I don't have a choice, but I really can't wait to see what happens next.







No comments:

Post a Comment