Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Darkest Before Dawn

Book Review of Darkest Before Dawn (KGI Series)



Title: Darkest Before Dawn

Series: KGI Series

Author: Maya Banks 

Date Published: October 27th 2015

Date Read:    December 24, 2015

The Blurb: 


The Kelly Group International (KGI): A super-elite, top secret, family-run business.

Qualifications: High intelligence, rock-hard body, military background.
Mission: Hostage/kidnap victim recovery. Intelligence gathering. Handling jobs the U.S. government can’t...

The enigmatic Hancock has been both opponent and ally to the KGI teams for as long as they've known him. Always working a deep game, Hancock's true allegiance has never been apparent, but one thing is for certain—he never lets anything get in the way of duty.

But now, his absolute belief in the primacy of his ultimate goal is challenged by a captive he's been ordered to guard, no matter how much she suffers in her prison. She's the only woman who's ever managed to penetrate the rigid walls surrounding his icy heart, but will he allow his perplexing feelings for the beautiful victim to destroy a mission he's spent years working to complete or will he be forced to sacrifice her for “the greater good.” 


My Review



1.5 Pissed Off Stars




Oh there will be spoilers and lots of gifs!!

I am so pissed and disappointed right now! I have waited forever for my beloved Hancock's story. His story had such potential. My Hancock, the super soldier, cold, hard, but good and redeemable under it all. That is not what I got here. See that is the problem when you love a character so much and you wait for their book, sometimes it doesn't live up to your expectations. Well this book didn't just let me down, it blew my dreams of a yummy Hancock love to hell! 



The first 30% of the book was so boring, repetitive, and tedious it took everything in me to power through. Repeating over and over the same lines, thoughts, and inner- struggle. Then over the top, unnecessary details are the reason it took 50 pages to say what could have been covered in 10 tops. At points my eyes glazed over and I just prayed for it to be over!


So in the first half of the book I really liked Honor. I thought she was brave, sassy, and a fighter. She had a sweet caring heart and a ton of courage. Then it's like at about the 60% mark she turned into someone else completely. Someone so over the top ridiculous, and unrealistic that I could no longer relate to her and felt a complete disconnect. Come on, you want me to believe that this woman, this fighter, or any woman for fuck sake, would all of a sudden just be ok with being a sacrificial lamb for the greater good? She not only is okay with dying she knows she will be raped repeatedly, and tortured beyond belief before said death will come and then the death will be slow and painful, but hey she's okay with that. It's cool.

“And I forgive you, for what it’s worth. You’re right. What is the good of the one compared to the good of the many?”-Honor


Oh and of course I am suppose to believe that after she is nearly raped twice, beaten during both almost rapes, Hancock betraying her, breaking her trust, and planning to hand her over to hell, She wants him to be her first lover. You know so that her first time isn't from rape since she is going to be raped over and over. 

“Would you . . . Would you make love to me? Now? Before you have to give me to Maksimov? Will you show me just once what it should be like so that I’ll know? So that I’ll have that one memory of something beautiful, something that no one else can ever touch. That can never be tainted no matter what else is done to me. So that when another man . . . hurts me, I can retreat to this moment and hold on. Shut out everything but this one perfect night. Will you do this for me?”-Honor


She deserved a gentle initiation. Not down-and-dirty fucking. He closed his eyes, swearing at his choice of thoughts. The idea of other men holding her down, raping her like mindless animals made him sick. His erection lost its rigidity and bleakness entered his soul.-Hancock

That leads to the creepiest sex I have ever read. It was bad, just bad. I mean fuck! The whole time he is "making love" to her he is thinking of how he has to make it good so that when she is being raped she can hold on to this beautiful memory! LOL sure. Hancock the whole time he is fucking her (because that was not making love) is doing it while still planning on turning her over to a fate worse than hell. Because nothing is more romantic then thinking about impending rape while making love for the first time to a traitor.

“Killing is second nature to him. To him killing is as normal as breathing. As eating or drinking. If it gets him what he wants, he does it. He thrives on pain, torment.” He winced again. “Torture. Rape. You can’t imagine the twisted, sadistic things he does to the women he rapes. He’s into every imaginable crime. He has no loyalty except to himself. He deals drugs, guns, bombs. Human trafficking. He’s a fucking pedophile and he indulges himself even as he sells children to people who are as perverted and twisted as he is.”-Hancock about Maksimov


And Hancock, pff his character was destroyed for me. I mean I could understand to a point that he is a harden man and he has to finish the mission for the greater good. But from the minute he started having feelings for Honor he should have changed the plan to sacrifice her. As the book went on I lost all respect and love for him. He was so hypocritical and ludicrous. He was not the same Hancock I grew to love from the other books. He even at one point thinks of how he could save her, he has done it twice before, saved other women. That there would always be another chance to get the bad guy, but he ain't gonna do it. Why? Cause he is tired of chasing the bad guy and letting him slip through his fingers. So fuck Honor. Oh but he feels guilt about it. 

He’d dropped the guise of justice and his pursuit of Maksimov, not once but twice, to save other innocents. So why not Honor? If he were truly honest, he would admit to himself, to his men, that this being their last chance was bullshit. There was always another opportunity given time and patience. But patience was what he was fast running out of. His resolve to end it now had less to do with it being his only shot and a lot more to do with the fact that Hancock was weary and he wanted out. -Hancock


By the time he gets his shit together and decides he isn't giving Honor up. It's too little, too late for me. He was ruined for me. I didn't buy his instant change of heart. I didn't buy his love. I didn't buy that he goes from a heartless prick to a sappy puss that cries all the time in the blink of an eye. And I didn't buy their relationship at all. This book was a total fail for me.


It really upsets me. This book was a total hot mess. like a train wreck that you can't look away from. KGI has always been one of my favorite series. Their stories so awesome, their loves so epic. I can't believe this is a KGI book, let alone my Hancock's book. I feel so let down. I really hope this isn't going to be the new norm for the KGI books, because I can't take much more of this shit. 





No comments:

Post a Comment