Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Unexpectedly Hers

Book Review of Unexpectedly Hers (Sterling Canyon Series)


Title: Unexpectedly Hers

Series: Sterling Canyon Series


Author: Jamie Beck 


Date Published: February 21st 2017


Date Read:   February 19, 2017


The Blurb:

By day, bashful wallflower Emma Duffy works at her family’s bed-and-breakfast. By night, she secretly pens erotic romance hot enough to melt the snow in their cozy Rockies town.

But Emma’s real life is about to heat up when her mother books the entire inn to a professional snowboarder, hoping the publicity will put them on the map. In a karmic twist of fate, that guest is Wyatt Lawson, the man with whom Emma had shared the secret one-night stand that became the inspiration for her novel and its dreamy hero. Worse, a film crew is documenting his comeback just as her debut is about to hit the shelves. Emma’s only saving grace is that Wyatt doesn’t remember her—and hopefully he never will.
When Wyatt arrives in Sterling Canyon for several weeks of intense training, the last tumble he expects to take is falling for a girl, especially one as shy as Emma. Unlike groupies with their hidden agendas, she isn’t using him—or so he believes…until the film crew uncovers Emma’s pen name and steamy novel.
Wyatt’s comeback run can withstand a fall or two, but can his heart recover from this crash and burn?

My Review
3 Unexpectedly bland stars


Some Spoilers 

I love Jamie Beck and I loved the first two books in this series, giving both those books 5 star ratings, but this one just didn't do it for me. I really liked Emma in the other 2 books and I was looking forward to her book, but I just didn't care for her in this one. The biggest problem I had with Emma was the way she was with her mother. Emma is a 31 year old woman and in this book she acts like a child afraid of getting in trouble with mommy. It drove me crazy. Her childish behavior threw her whole character off for me and I didn't connect to her. This quote totally summed it up for me.

"If this gets back to my mother..." Emma stopped herself, realizing that, at thirty-one, she sounded pathetic to be worried about her mother's opinion.

And can I just say that I really really didn't like Emma's very bitter, selfish and judgmental mother. I would have loved for Emma to stand up to her and grow up but instead the whole book Emma was like the naughty child hiding things from mommy so she wouldn't get grounded. I mean my god her mom calls her and chastises her 31 year old daughter for kissing a guy. Kissing a guy, 31 years old I mean come on! Even at the end of the book she still lived with mommy and was still trying to please her mom by using her own money to fix her mom's Inn. 
Wyatt was okay for me but he didn't really stand out. It really bothered me that Wyatt and Emma had a one night stand years ago and he never remembered her. Talk about a blow to the pride. Now Wyatt's brother Ryder I loved him. He had depth and I would have loved to see Emma with him! Truly I would read Ryder's book in a New York minute. I really connected to him, totally got invested and I want more Ryder!

Now because I never connected to Emma I never got invested in her and Wyatt's relationship. I didn't feel any chemistry between them. That colored my whole outlook on the book. So the whole read for me was kinda bland. I did really enjoy the parts with Ryder but other than that it was just an okay read for me. I didn't even like the ending. The HEA was just kinda whatevs.  He is just moving to town. They aren't moving in together. Not getting married and she is still living with her mom at 32 years old.   I still love Jamie Beck and I will still read her books, but this one was a miss for me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment