Monday, June 26, 2017

Journey to the Unknown

Book Review of Journey To The Unknown (Meet The Shepards Series)


Title: Journey To The Unknown


Series: Meet The Shepards Series


Author: Jacqueline Francis


Date Published: May 29th 2017


Date Read:  June 20, 2017 


The Blurb:

Dan: Hi there, folks, and thank you for joining us this morning. I’m your host, Dan. (Points thumb to the left) This is Bob.


Bob: (waves at the camera) Hi!

Dan: So, Bob, why don’t you tell our viewers at home what to expect.

Bob: Well, Dan, on the one side we have Jasmintha.

Dan: Ain’t she a doll, Bob?

Bob: She really is. A special kind of something. Jasmintha has led a very sheltered life, sweet and innocent with no real life experience. Wanting to break out of the bubble she was raised in, she decides to drive cross-country to meet her estranged mother who abandoned her at birth.

Dan: Abandonment issues! How cliché.

Bob: Stop being a cynical jerk, Dan. Like I was saying…as Fate would have it, she soon meets our boy, Kevin.

Dan: Now, Kevin is on an unsteady path of self-destruction, speeding along on a bullet-train with a one-way ticket to Shitsville. He lost his best friend quite tragically and he’s also trekking across the States to fulfill a pact they’d once made. Kevin was a dick before, but hurt, depression and an aching sense of loss has only made him worse.

Bob: He’s not that bad.

Dan: Ah, Bob (gives a wry smile). I love how you always try to see the good in others, but let’s not kid ourselves. Kevin’s an asshole! 

Bob: (ignores Dan) So here we have these two incompatible strangers traveling long distance together. Tensions are high and fights are plenty. But you know what? Maybe all our boy needs is this girl with a heart so big to help him heal his heart so shattered.

Dan: (shakes head with disappointment) Your corniness never ceases to amaze me.

Bob: Will these two be able to find some common understanding? Can they make peace with their broken pasts? Will love blossom on this heartfelt journey of self-discovery?

Dan: You make me sick, Bob. Physically sick to my stomach. Who’s writing this shit on your teleprompter? My money’s on Kevin to fuck up, but that’s just cynical me.

Bob: Two lonely hearts. Two annoying commentators. One amazing road trip!

Dan: Yeah, I’m done with this (stands up). But before I go, I’m just gonna slap on a warning for our viewers at home. For those of you who can only handle cussing and assholes in moderation, we suggest you skip this one, because it contains a ridiculous amount of both. For the rest of you (winks at the camera), join us for the ride.


My Review




5 Emotional Stars



May have mild spoilers 


“You’re really good looking, by the way.” The comment was unexpected and strange and took him completely by surprise. His head snapped up to look at her. “What?” “You…you’re super cute, not in a normal cute kind of way. More like in a Larry the Lumberjack kinda way, like lure your victims into the woods so you can hack up their bodies into tiny pieces kinda way.” He cleared his throat awkwardly. “I’m struggling to see how that can be appealing.” She smiled, not in the least bit perturbed. “Well, Larry has to lure his victims into the woods somehow. That’s the appeal you have.” -Jazz and Kevin

That was an emotional ride. It took me a whole day to get my thoughts together before I could even write my review. Now I started my Shepard journey back with book 1 Wanting to Remember, Trying to Forget with Max and Danny. Now that book was good but both Danny and Max annoyed me at times, because they caused such unnecessary drama. Then I read book 2 Childish Games with Jordan and Tyler, and I fell madly in love with them as a couple. Now in both those books we readers meet Max and Jordan's family including their little brother Kevin. So I had already let Kevin into my heart after reading in the last two books about his heartbreak and guilt over losing his friend Perry. So when Jacqueline Francis asked me if I wanted a copy of Journey to the Unknown (Kevin and Jazz's book) I was like "YES PLEASE!" I so needed to know what happened with Kevin. I needed him to get his HEA. But boy it was a bumpy, crazy, road to happiness for Kevin and Jazz.

“Give us a helicopter dick!” Jasmin didn’t know what that was, but it became apparent a few seconds later. “How is he doing that?” She was equally flabbergasted and awe-struck. “My fragile, young mind will never be the same again.” -Sandy and Jazz



“I saw a cock today…like an actual live shlong.” “Yeah?” She couldn’t see him, but she knew he was smiling. She could hear it in his voice. He always sounded lighter when smiled. “Was it everything you’d hoped it would be?” “It was HUGE! And he was just swinging it around in front of my face.”-Jazz and Kevin

I was warned that Kevin would be hard to love in this book. So I knew with a warning like that and the fact that he is hurting over Perry that it would get ugly. I even worried I would hate him if he went too far. I worried for nothing. Don't get me wrong he was a total asshole at times. He would lash out and say some of the most hurtful shit and made me want to beat the crap out of him, but I still loved him through it all. Maybe it was because of the first 2 books but I could not only sympathize with Kevin, I could feel his pain as if it was my own. It just felt so real. I teared up twice in this book and I'm not a huge crier. When Kevin let his walls down with Jazz he was amazing. I could see why she fell in love with him. Jasmintha(Jazz) was amazing. She made this book for me. She was so unique, quirky, and funny. She made me laugh so many times. Jazz is a stand out heroine. I may have a girl crush! She was just so upbeat, smart and playful I couldn't help but love her. Words just can never convey her awesomeness!

“I want to see everything!” she shouted. “Like in Debbie does Dallas, but this will be Jasmintha does Vegas.” He stopped walking. “Jazz, have you…have you ever watched Debbie does Dallas?” “No, but I’ve heard the title a lot.” A sullen look came over his face. “Um…It’s…it’s not…” His tone was somber, like he was about to deliver the news that she had a life-threatening disease. “She…Debbie…” She didn’t know Debbie, but she felt like she should be worried. He took a deep breath, almost as if the reveal would be heart-wrenching. “Debbie didn’t go sightseeing, Jazz.” “Then what was she doing in Dallas?” He shook his head sympathetically. “She…she did a lot. She did a lot of things in Dallas, but…sightseeing wasn’t one of them.”-Jazz and Kevin



“I have something for you.” Shifting his hips forward a bit, he reached into the pocket of his jeans. He took out what he needed, then grabbed her hand and placed the contents of his pocket into her small palm. “There.” She looked confused, glancing between him and her empty hand. “Uh…what’s this?” “It’s all the fucks I give.” “Ewww!” She immediately flung her hand, tossing his fucks over her shoulder. “That’s gross!” She rubbed her hand down his arm, smearing the remaining residue over his sweater. “You can’t go around putting shit like that in peoples’ hands, Kevin. It’s unsanitary.” -Kevin and Jazz

Kevin and Jazz had some major sexual tension. Kevin did a lot of push/pull but the tension was strong. I loved them together. I loved the way she would overlook his grumpy ass and he overlooked her quirkiness. When they finally did get together it was hot. They had such a cuteness to their relationship when Kevin let her in. There was plenty of good times with Kevin and Jazz to balance out the sadness and angry lashing out that Kevin did. I loved getting caught up with the past couples too. Max and Danny had some sweet moments in this book and I feel like their story finally is finished. Also I loved, looooved getting more Tyler and Jordan. They are my favorite and it made me want to go back and reread their book. I just loved this book from beginning to end it was one hell of a ride with tears and laughter and I can't wait to read more books by Jacqueline Francis. 

“Oh, not you di’n’t. I know you did not just waste Skittles like that. That shit’ll get you killed, Son. This conversation is getting dangerous, so let’s just agree to disagree before I go all Brown on your ass.” “Chris?” “Bobby, motherfucker.” -Jazz and Kevin




No comments:

Post a Comment