Friday, January 2, 2015

Proveked

Book Review of Provoked (Dark Protector series)


Title: Provoked


Series: Dark Protector


Author: Rebecca Zanetti


Date Published: November 1st 2012


The Blurb: 
 A TIME FOR WAR…

A casualty of the war between the demons and the vampires, Jase Kayrs has been missing for six long years. His older brothers want answers—but they’re going to have to get them from an unlikely source. For when Kane Kayrs tracks down Amber Freebird, what he finds is a blonde, vegan pacifist who has no intention of using her skills in his war…

A TIME FOR LOVE…

Amber enjoys her life of chaotic freedom and has no intention of falling in line just because a sexy-as-sin vampire insists on order. Unfortunately, he discovers she may be the only hope they have of finding his brother, and there’s no way he’s going to let her go—even if it means mating her to gain her cooperation. The two are as different as can be, yet when the dominant Kane and the untamed Amber finally unite to rescue Jase, they just may find that opposites really do attract

My Review


5 Odd Couple stars!


Spoilers

First read Dec 21 2014
Reread Nov 27th 2016

“As a race, we’re rather protective of females. Sometimes too much so. My sisters-in-law would never be allowed to work alone in a bar—just for safety reasons.” He stiffened, catching his breath. Then he stood and whirled to face her. “Don’t ever tell them I used the word allow. God. Ever. Please.”-Kane

Rebecca Zanetti has done it again. This book was AMAZINGGGGG! I love this series so much. These books need to be read in order as they all tie together building on the plot and paranormal world. So this book picks up 4 years after Consumed. Jase has been kidnapped and tortured by the demon nation. Everyone is worried what 4 years with the demons will do to Jase if he lives. Kane Kayrs, the smart one, has located a demon destroyer named Amber. Only she doesn't know what she is, what he is, what demons are or how to use her powers. 

“Not until you at least consider how good we could be.” “From a logical perspective, I can’t stand you. In fact, I’d probably kill you in your sleep.” She released his hair and shoved both hands against his hard chest. The damn man didn’t move. “Some pacifist.” “See? See what a few hours with you does to me? No way will I mate you.” “Famous last words, gorgeous.” -Kane and Amber

*************************************************************************

“Darlin’, I’m all brain, no heart. That should make you happy considering the pleasure centers are in the brain.” “No.” She shoved against his chest, the movement rubbing her suddenly aching sex against a hardened cock too impressive to easily ignore. “This isn’t about thinking. This is about feeling.” Staring him right in the eyes, she tried to penetrate to his hard brain. “We both know you can feel, whether you like that fact or not.”-Kane and Amber

Kane being the smartest man in the world, has plenty of book smarts, but emotions are useless to him. He is all cold logic and Mr. super intelligent scientist although his could kick ass with the best of them. He doesn't believe in feelings and love . 

"What about love?" He sighed "Love is a chemical reaction induced in our brain to encourage propagating the species. The sensation is merely a scientific phenomenon, like the northern lights."-Amber and Kane

I loved watching Kane figure out his feelings for Amber. For such a smart man it took him a long time to figure it out. Kane was great in the other books but you didn't get to know a lot about him. It was so much fun getting to know Kane better, and watching him fall hard for a spirited, vegan, pacifist, and all around eco nut. Amber was a totally different type of heroine than I'm use to reading about. She was this vegan, pacifist that lived in a small commune that worked together and lived off the land. I didn't think I would like Amber. I thought she was going to get on my nerves with her hippy ways, but I loved Amber! She was strong in her own way and brave too, but still true to her character. Amber does believe in love and fate. She won't mate for logic. She wants passion, love, and feelings. It was so much fun watching her get the cold Kane feeling again!

“So, I mean, I’m not smart like you.” Man, did she need to draw him a map? His eyes crinkled when he smiled. “Amber—degrees have nothing to do with intelligence. They have to do with time to study. You’re plenty smart . . . don’t worry.” Warmth flushed through her. Kane didn’t lie—he didn’t know how. “Thanks.” He pressed the issue. “If you mated me, you’d have plenty of time and money to get all the degrees you wanted.” The warmth receded. “That sounds like a business arrangement.” “Most successful marriages, even among humans, are arranged. Good, solid, business arrangements.”-Amber and Kane



“I’ve wanted you to wear my mark since the first time I saw you in that bar.”-Kane

The chemistry between Kane and Amber was so sexy. They were total opposites in every way, but couldn't keep their hands off each other! Boy did they butt heads because Kane was in denial about his feelings for Amber. She pushed him to feel things, to get out of his head and live. She intrigued him and drove him crazy in equal measure. It was really funny at times. I loved Amber's grandma Hilde. Holy cow Hilde was one funny woman. Poor Jase my God my heart broke for poor Jase! Seeing what he lived through was eating a hole in my stomach and made me hate the demon nation so much. I hope the vampires send them all to hell in the most painful way especially Suri and his stupid whore sister Willa. In this book we get to see more of the Zane, Kalin, and Janie plot. I still don't understand why I like Kalin. He is so not a good guy. In every way he is evil and does the most horrid things and yet for some reason I want him to turn good, be redeemed, and get a hea. Just not with Janie she belongs with Zane! At the end of the book we not only get a HEA for Kane and Amber we get to check in on a few of our favorite couples from the past books and see how they are doing. The part with Talen and Cara was so cute. Love me some Talen! I love this book. A must read. This series is one of my all time favorites and I love Rebecca Zanetti! Great writer. I am a total fan girl for life! 

“I love you, Kane. No matter what happens later, I need you to know that. I do love you.”-Amber


“Yes. I love you with everything I am and everything I’ll ever be.” She stilled. Her eyes widened. “You do?” He grinned. “Of course. You’re perfect. Stubborn, impossible, horribly devoted to a way of life I don’t understand. I’ll love you until the day I die.” Her heart swelled. “You don’t mean that.” “Yes, I do. Have I ever lied to you?” His eyes darkened. “No. But love, I mean . . . love.” “Yes, love.” He smiled, the curve of his lip happy.-Kane and Amber



No comments:

Post a Comment