Friday, May 15, 2015

Fading

Book Review of Fading (Fading Series)


Title: Fading 

Series:Fading Series

Author:E.K. Blair

Date Published:  June 19th 2013

Date Read:  April 12, 2015

The Blurb:
Can a guilty conscience keep wounds from healing?

Fine arts major, Candace Parker, grew up with a mother who thinks image is everything, and her daughter’s perfection will never be good enough. About to graduate college and pursue her dreams of becoming a professional ballerina, Candace decides it’s time to let go and have a little fun. But fun is short-lived when a brutal attack leaves her completely shattered. 

The memories that consume and torment Candace are starting to destroy her when she meets Ryan Campbell, a successful bar owner. He feels instantly connected and tries to show her that hope is worth fighting for. But is Ryan harboring his own demons? As walls slowly begin to chip away, the secrets that are held within start to become painful burdens. 

At what point do secrets become lies?


My Review

             
          3 pain is a reminder you're still alive Stars



"I'm not leaving you. Nothing you could say would make me want to leave you."


This is my first book by E.K. Blair, and the plot sounded so good. Candace Parker is a ballerina in college, and she has a ton of emotional issues with her mother . While trying to live a little, let go, and have fun , she goes on a few dates with a guy, and gets date raped. She shuts down , but with the supportive love of the Hero, Ryan Campbell , she learns to trust again, and starts to heal. Sound great, right? Yeah, not so much. This book had one big flaw that ruined it for me. That one thing is Candace Parker! Man, she drove me nuts. I hated her so much. Then I thought you can't hate the heroine, Jessica, she is the victim, she has been through a lot, I need to be more understanding. I tried so damn hard to like her really I did, but nope! Screw that! I just hated her!!!!!






Candace Parker was a victim of rape, but instead of fighting back, moving on, or even just surviving she just buried her head in the sand. She didn't deal with anything at all. I understand not everyone reacts the same to traumatic events. I would have liked her to seek help, get counseling, press charges, or at least talk about it. Hell just even tell her best friend what happened once , but no she just stops living. I get that people that get raped don't always report it, and they have PTSD, Depression and a lot more, but she could have at least talked to kimber, Jase, or Ryan about it, or something. It was like she just gave up, and became a shell. I couldn't connect to her at all. By the way, the reason I hate her has nothing to do with the way she handled her rape, or anything like that, it was because of the way she treated the people who cared for her, and tried to help her. The way she ripped into anyone who asked any questions , tried to talked to her , be there for her, and she just cut Kimber completely out of her life. Kimber, her best friend of years who was like a sister to her, cut her out like she was nothing. I also hated her for the way she treated Ryan when she found out he was keeping something from her(he was the eyewitness to her rape and when he figured out it was her, he was scared to tell her because he didn't want to hurt her)She rips him to pieces, doesn't give him a chance to explain or nothing. She just breaks up with him. Yells that she hates him. Breaking his heart after he was so damn great to her, understanding and supportive. She gave him no understanding just threw him away, and avoided dealing with the problem.

"I am. Every day is a struggle. Everything. I'm scared every day."

The night he took everything from me: my trust, my peace, my security, my faith—my light. He took it all and left me with nothing. "I'm fading." I feel the heat of my tears as they linger down my cheeks. "He took all my light, and I've been fading ever since."

"I knew better. I knew I shouldn't have let you in like I did. But, I can't see you anymore. You have to stop calling and texting. I need you to just not exist for me because I can't do this. It hurts more than I thought anything possibly could."



Ryan was a great hero. He was so good to her. He goes so slow, and waits for her, never putting pressure on her , but for months builds her trust up in him. He was supportive , strong for her , understanding , sweet , and so damn loving. I loved Ryan.

"I promise you, nothing will change the way I look at you. Nothing will change what you do to me when you're next to me. You make my heart beat in a completely different way—nothing will ever change that."


"I know. But it's never going to get easier if you keep blaming yourself. It kills me that you feel this way. It fuckin' kills me that I can't take this away from you."

"Everything you give me is perfect. You have to stop feeling like this. I'm here with you, and I'm not going anywhere." 


The reason I gave this book 3 stars instead of 1 , was because of Ryan, Jase and Mark. I loved them. Mark and Jase were great friends, understanding and loyal. They gave her everything she needed. I loved Mark and Jase as a couple too. Very sweet. They had just gotten back together, and they still gave her all the loving support she needed, letting her stay with them and sleep in Jase's bed with Jase. I need friends like them!! I loved Ryan's family, especially his mother. Love when Ryan was hoppin' his nieces and nephews up on candy before sending them home , the way he was with kids was too cute! I felt very badly for Kimber she really got dumped on in this book. Another thing that I didn't like in this book was instead of Candace growing a little as a character , standing up for her self and dealing with the rape maybe even pressing charges   the rapist dies it felt like the easy way out to me. There was enough time with the supporting characters and tender moments with Ryan that it made this book a 3 star . I will not be reading the other two books in this series because they are just this book, over and over again, but from Jase and Ryan's point of view and I don't want to read the same book three different times. No thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment