Monday, November 9, 2015

Controlled Burn

Book Review of Controlled Burn (Boston Fire Series)


Title:Controlled Burn

Series: Boston Fire Series

Author:Shannon Stacey

Date Published:    November 24th 2015 

Date Read: November 09, 2015

The Blurb:
Rick Gullotti lives the good life. He fights fires, dates beautiful women—though none long enough so they cast wistful glances at jewelry stores—and has great friends. And thanks to helping out the elderly couple who own his building, his rent is low. But when concerns about their health lead him to contact their only son, his life starts getting away from him.

Jessica Broussard has no interest in leaving sunny San Diego or her cushy corner office for Boston, but her father—who happens to be her boss—dispatches her to deal with the grandparents she's never met. She's unprepared for the frigid winter, loving relatives who aren't the monsters she's been led to believe, and the hot, scruffy firefighter who lives upstairs.

At first, Jessica is determined to get back to her comfortable life as quickly as possible. All she has to do is talk her grandparents into selling their monstrosity of a house and moving to a retirement community. But she underestimates Rick's dedication—and his considerable charm. Nobody's taking advantage of his friends on his watch, even if that makes the tempting southern California girl with the long legs his adversary. Unfortunately for them both, the only thing more urgent than the matter at hand is their sizzling chemistry, and it's quickly becoming too strong to resist.


My Review




4 Yummy Firefighter Stars




"It's still a bad idea," he said, his voice low. "I agree." She stepped into the curve of his arm. "So after you kiss me, we should make another agreement about how we won't do it again."-Rick and Jessica

Wow it is so nice to read a sweet, low drama, light-hearted read. Lately some of the books I have read, have been big misses for me, and they gave me a horrible case of the Rants! I really needed a fun, easy going book. And I got that with Controlled Burn by Shannon Stacey. This book worked for me on so many levels, but the main and most important one was, it had sexy firefighters in it. Enough said!

"I can throw you over my shoulder if you want. I've had professional training." She gave him a look that might have scorched that fancy fire coat he wore. "Do they give classes on being a caveman at the fire academy?" "That part just comes naturally to some of us. But they have to teach us how to lift with our legs and not with our backs, I guess."-Rick and Jessica


"The sooner you get them off, and get yours off the sooner you can be inside of me."-Jessica

What this book is about

Jessica works as VP of Broussards Financial Services, her father's business. While checking her father's messages, she finds out her grandfather, whom she has never met, fell and was in the hospital. Jessica knows her father cut his parents out of his life, and wants nothing to do with them, for reasons unknown to her. She decides to get on a plane and meet her grandparents and help them if she can. When she gets to her grandparents home she meets their tenant, who lives in their 3rd floor apt, Rick. Rick is very close to her grandparents. Neither Rick or Jessica trust the other's motives, and both are very attracted to each other. Jessica and Rick are both fighting their attraction. Nothing can come from it since they live miles and miles away. Right?

"Good." His hand fisted in her hair, tilting her head back so she looked into his eyes. "I want it to be hard for you to leave me because it's sure as hell hard to let you go."-Rick



"It's so dumb. I mean, if you were in a house that was on fire and you just happened to stumble on a room with no smoke in it, would you feel compelled to stop and have sex in it?" "No." He paused. "A blow job, maybe, but not sex." She elbowed him hard enough to make him grunt. "You would not." "Of course not. With the amount of gear we wear, by the time I could get my dick out, the flames would be knocked down and the guys would be in the truck, laying on the horn." -Jessica and Rick

I loved both Jessica and Rick. They were both kind, realistic, likable, and down to earth characters. I love that there is a nice build up to their relationship. They don't just hop into bed. There is some sexual tension, some flirting and a few stolen kisses. Both Rick and Jessica are playful, funny and sweet people. They made an adorable and sexy couple. 

"Those are models, Jess. God knows that ain't me. I'm real and I have bad days and sometimes I say stupid things, but I love you."-Rick


"The only thing I absolutely need is you."-Jessica

Controlled Burn can be read as a stand alone book. I didn't read the first book, and I had no problems. One of the things I really loved about this book was I was able to just relax. It made me laugh, smile, and just feel good. I only have one complaint with this book and that is the end........ WTH is that. That is not an ending, and it's not really a cliffhanger. It's like a cliffhanger's lil brother or something. It was so rushed. It really gave no closure and left me with tons of questions. Maybe the next book will answer those questions. I don't know and won't find out til 2016. Not cool! I took a star off my rating, just for that ending! 






No comments:

Post a Comment