Monday, March 27, 2017

Mine Till Midnight

Book Review of Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways Series)


Title: Mine Till Midnight 

Series: The Hathaways Series


Author: Lisa Kleypas


Date Published: October 2nd 2007


Date Read:   April 11, 2016


The Blurb:

When an unexpected inheritance elevates her family to the ranks of the aristocracy, Amelia Hathaway discovers that tending to her younger sisters and wayward brother was easy compared to navigating the intricacies of the ton. Even more challenging: the attraction she feels for the tall, dark, and dangerously handsome Cam Rohan.


Wealthy beyond most men’s dreams, Cam has tired of society’s petty restrictions and longs to return to his “uncivilized” Gypsy roots. When the delectable Amelia appeals to him for help, he intends to offer only friendship—but intentions are no match for the desire that blindsides them both. But can a man who spurns tradition be tempted into that most time-honored arrangement: marriage? Life in London society is about to get a whole lot hotter...

My Review


4 Hummingbird Stars



***Spoilers***

When it comes to historical romance I am very picky. Over the years I have found that a lot of HR will have cheating and mistresses in their books. So much so that I quit reading HR books until I discovered Goodreads and was able to see spoilers and make sure there would be no cheating in that book. I was craving some HR and a friend said to try Lisa Kleypas that they loved her. So when I was out book shopping I found the whole Hathaway Series for 4.00, bought it and here we are. My first taste of Lisa Kleypas and I loved it. I really enjoyed her writing style. I connected and fell in love with all the characters including the secondary characters which just makes me want to read all their HEAs. Mine Till Midnight, the first book in the Hathaway series, was an awesome read that did a great job of hooking me. So much so that I didn't want to stop and write a review I wanted to rush and start Winnifred and Merripen's story. 

"You have a vivid imagination, Miss Hathaway." His tone was bland. But there was a flare of provoking laughter in his eyes. "I have no such thing. The rest of my family is steeped in imagination—I'm the one who clings desperately to reality." -Cam and Amelia 



"God help anyone who stands in your way. You do like to manage other people's lives, don't you?" "Only when it's obvious I can do a better job of it than they can. What are you smiling at?"-Cam and Amelia 

The heroine in this book Amelia was 26 which made her a spinster. After being burnt by her ex love ( her brother's ex bf Christopher Frost) She had no desire to get married and just wanted to take care of her sisters and brother. Her brother Leo the oldest of the Hathaways, and newly titled viscount was in self destruction mode and suicidal over the death of his fiancee Laura. Amelia being the second oldest was trying to hold the family together and save her brother. Amelia was stubborn, smart and acted like a mother hen. She tried to control things and took all the family's problems (which were many) on her shoulders. Though she really wanted Cam she held him at arms length because she was worried that he would leave her like her ex or resent her for his lost of freedom. I really liked Amelia and could understand where she was coming from. I didn't fault her for holding Cam off although at times I did get frustrated with her. I did however take a star off of my rating of this book because of something she did. After her and Cam have slept together and Cam had repeatedly asked her to marry him (at this point she was still saying no to him about marriage) Cam leaves for London to get some workers for her home. While gone a bunch of shit happens and she is super upset and stressed, her ex Christopher shows up. She talks to him in which he kisses her twice! No she doesn't kiss him back, shocked she just stands there caught off guard but and here is the part that pissed me off she didn't tell him to never touch her again or slap him. Nothing! Then she doesn't' tell Cam about the two kisses although he does find out about her talking alone with Christopher. It pissed me off so much that I took a star off. This is what she should have done.....



"Stop running from me and listen. I do want you. I want you even knowing if I marry you, I've got an instant family, complete with a suicidal brother-in-law and a Gypsy houseboy with the temperament of a poked bear." "Merripen is not a houseboy." "Call him what you like. He comes with the Hathaways. I accept that."-Cam 

Cam was amazing. I loved him so much. Cam was half Roma Gypsy /half Irish. He was an outcast in both worlds. He wanted for so long to fit in and be Roma and longed for the freedom of the Gypsy lifestyle that he was scared of his deep feelings for Amelia. Cam was really the best of both worlds civilized, hard working, loyal but he knew how to have fun he had a wild side and could be dangerous when needed. Cam was very charming. He wanted Amelia as his wife and he wasn't taking no for an answer. Cam was a rock for Amelia. Helping her with her family problems and just being there for her. He got her to live a little, to let go. 

"I find you thoroughly, deeply interesting. I want to open you like a book and read every page." A smile curled the corners of his lips as he added huskily, "Footnotes included." Feeling the stiffness of her neck muscles, he coaxed the tension out of them, kneading lightly. "I want you. I want to lie with you beneath constellations and clouds and shade trees."-Cam 



"It would be disastrous." Heat climbed in her breasts and throat and face. "You would resent me for taking away your freedom and I would resent you for taking mine. I can't promise to obey you, to accept your decisions and never again be entitled to my own opinions? "It doesn't have to be that way." "Oh? Would you swear never to command me to do anything against my will?"-Amelia and Cam 

Cam and Amelia's relationship was a passionate one. Total opposites they complemented each other nicely, but also butted heads too. Which usually ended with them in bed. I really liked all of Amelia's sisters. Each had unique personalities that made them stand out as individuals. I loved Merripen was intrigued with him and Winnifred love story which is next. Leo was a sad case. My heart broke for him and in the same breathe I wanted to choke the shit out of him. I understood that he was in so much pain over losing Laura, but the things he did, the way he was reckless made me want to shake him and yell snap the hell out of it. I loved just about everything in this book and I really can't wait to start Win and Merripen's book. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves historical romances.

"You're not like any man I've ever known," she said. "You're not even someone I could have dreamed. You're like someone from a fairy story written in a language I don't even know." "The prince, I hope." "No, you're the dragon, a beautiful wicked dragon." Her voice turned wistful. "How could anyone have a normal everyday life with you?"-Amelia and Cam 



No comments:

Post a Comment