Thursday, October 29, 2015

Reckless River

Book Review of Reckless River (Men of Mercy Series)



Title:Reckless River 

Series: Men of Mercy

Author:Lindsay Cross

Date Published:  October 21st 2015

Date Read: October 26, 2015

The Blurb:
They say you can’t go home again. Jared Crowe never wanted to. 

Home meant facing memories of abuse and neglect. Of dark closets and evil nightmares. Of his own relatives intent on killing him. But now his brother’s kidnapping forces him to face those demons. Only this time, Jared isn’t a scared little boy. He’s a full-grown Special Forces operative bent on revenge.

As a little girl, Sparrow Pickney risked her life to free two abused boys. As a grown woman Sparrow needs to earn a place in her adopted family’s business or be forced into a life of degradation. The chance to prove her family loyalty comes when she catches Jared spying on the compound and captures him.

When Jared sees his captor, he realizes she’s the girl of his dreams and vows to rescue her from a life of poverty. What Jared doesn’t know is Sparrow may not be the savior he remembers…but the one responsible for abducting and torturing his brother.

Jared is determined to find the truth. But that truth may be more than his heart can take.


My Review




                   4.5 Mistrusting Stars 


Sparrow's questions haunted him. If she really were innocent, he would have to live with the fact that he'd mistreated a girl who had done nothing but try to save him. -Jared


"Kiss me." She stopped moving all together and her eyes narrowed in on his mouth. "Give me a kiss and I'll sing like a bird."- Jared

Reckless River, the 3rd book in the Men of Mercy Series, was a surprisingly darker, but good read. I have to say there are some dark parts in the first 2 books, but this book took a walk on the darker side. 

"I remember who you are now. You're the boy from my dreams. I....I thought you died. Miss Kay told everyone you and Hoyt were dead."- Sparrow


"You are mine. You will be my whore. You will do exactly as I say, when I say it."-Jared

What this book is about

When brothers Jared and Hoyt Crowe were little their parents died, and their aunt Mrs Kay abused and tried to kill them. The reason they are alive is because a little girl name Sparrow, with golden eyes, snuck in and set them free, saving them. Well Jared isn't a fearful little boy anymore, and he is hell bent on revenge. When Jared and Hoyt go home to get the revenge Jared needs, Hoyt is captured. Then while trying to save his brother Jared is also captured by none other than Sparrow. When Sparrow realizes who she has captured, she releases him, and vows to not only help him get his brother back, but to go with them. Jared and Sparrow are wildly attracted to each other, and want to start a life together, once they get Hoyt, and get back to safety. But that all changes when they find Hoyt hanging from the ceiling skinned alive and tortured near death. When Sparrow steps forward to help cut Hoyt down, he yells please don't let her cut me. Jared is seeing red now. He can't believe the woman he has dreamed about since she saved him, the woman he was going to try to start a life with, did this to his brother. Something Dark snaps inside Jared seeing his brother in so much pain, near death. He doesn't care if Sparrow swears she didn't do it. He ties, gags, and kidnaps her. She will pay for what she did to Hoyt. After some time Jared starts to question if this women who he wants so badly, who has helped him many times, could really hurt his brother this way. Will Jared find out the truth? And when he does will he find out the only woman he has ever cared for is evil, or will he be crushed with guilt over the way he treated Sparrow after he finds out she is innocent, and all she did was try to help him?

"Did you forget our little deal? You obey me without question." The girl didn't even falter "Yeah, I know. But it's awfully hard to obey you when you're acting like an idiot."-Sparrow and Jared



"I know what you think I did.... Why did you save me? Why didn't you just leave me there?" "I honestly don't know." He pushed a stray strand of hair from her cheek, the feeling of his fingers sending delicious tingles along her jaw. "What do you know?" Her heart raced faster. "That I'm glad you're alive." Her breath hitched under the intensity of his stare. There was no hatred in his gaze this time. "I know I want to kiss you so bad it hurts."-Sparrow and Jared

I really liked Sparrow she was very spunky. She had a horrible life, but she didn't let it beat her down. She learned to fight. Sparrow had a tough side, but she had a soft, innocent side. Sparrow's mother was a whore, and a pill popper, so she, never wanting to be like her mom, has never even kissed a guy. She gives her first everything to Jared. My heart broke for her. She fell in love with Jared hard and fast. It was hard to read how one minute he was sweet, tender, and kind then next a total mistrusting ass. Jared was a complex character. He was damaged, broody, and dark. But Jared also had this sweet side, and this broken child like side that when he showed it made him vulnerable and endearing. Boy could he be an ass! Some of the things he did, and the way he treated Sparrow after finding his brother, wow hard to read, but at the same time I could kinda understand. Hoyt was so messed up, I think anyone would lose their mind to find the one they love like that.

"You think I trust you to come back? Do I look like an idiot?" Sparrow stumbled back, a huge ache burning in her chest. "What do you mean? Last night...." "Last night was just sex. Don't think that you can use your body to try and control me. I'm not that stupid." -Jared and Sparrow


"You're driving me crazy." She stiffened. "I'm not trying to . All you have to do is release me. You'll never have to see me again." "Never." The thought of losing her now sent a wave of fear through him. She belonged with him. "You're mine."-Jared and Sparrow

One thing I really liked about Sparrow was that even though Jared didn't believe her. Even though he had her tied, gagged, and was treating her hostile, and harsh, she didn't just take it, or break down and cry. She raised her tied up hands and flipped him off. She gave him the slip a few times, and she fought him every step. Jared and Sparrow had a roller-coaster relationship. I loved that when Jared finally wised up, he apologizes. This book was all kinds of angsty drama. The only reason this book isn't five stars for me, is I wanted a little more of a HEA. They make up and that is it. The epilogue was about Hoyt, which is cool cause I can't flippin wait for Hoyt's book, but I would have liked to have seen a little into Jared and Sparrow's HEA. Maybe it's that way because the next book will pick up right where this one leaves off. What a deliciously angsty read. I hope Lindsay Cross writes a book for Merc too.

"Yes, I do. I need to show you that I believe you." He kissed her gently "That I cherish you." He kissed her again. "That I need you." This time he took her mouth deeply and Sparrow felt every nerve in her body respond. "I'm so sorry I didn't believe you. I was a fool. Please forgive me. Stay with me, let me spend the rest of my life making it up to you."-Jared



No comments:

Post a Comment