Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Resurrection River

Book Review of Resurrection River (Men of Mercy Series)


Title:Resurrection River 

Series: Men of Mercy

Author:Lindsay Cross

Date Published:  October 21st 2015

Date Read: October 24, 2015

The Blurb:
Ranger James accepted his best friend’s death like a good soldier. 

With guilt. Regret. Vengeance. But a forbidden desire keeps pulling him from his mission…

Desire for his best friend’s widow.

Killed in Action. That’s why Rachel Carter’s husband wasn’t coming home.

A war widow, alone and broke, Rachel struggles to revive her family’s crop dusting service to survive. Now she takes to the skies to find escape. Escape from the pain. From the guilt. From the earth-shattering desire for her husband’s best friend. 

Rachel and Ranger can’t fight the attraction between them any longer. But one fateful night cleaves their new found love in two...

Can they find the will to fight for true love? Or will an evil so shocking destroy their lives for good?


My Review




                3 Best Friend's Girl Stars



Resurrection River, the second book in the Men Of Mercy Series, was an okay read for me. I really expected to love it more then the first book, but one thing really ruined my enjoyment of reading this book. That would be the heroine Amy. Lord in heaven did she drive me crazy. The plot was good. Tons of suspense, and a plot twist that I never saw coming. A twist so big, I was truly shocked, and that doesn't happen much to me. I called my husband and was like OMG (I'm  always telling him about the books I am reading) because I was so shocked I had to share it with someone. I loved the Hero Ranger. Absolutely adored him. Ranger was the sweetest, most understanding, romantic, strong, and sexy hero. He was like perfect!


I do wish there would have been a little more detail on Ranger and Amy's past relationship. The book says they dated in high school, but I feel like important parts of their relationship are missing from the book. That is just a small thing and I could totally over look that, but what I couldn't over look was my hate for Amy. OMG I'm gonna rant a little here..... Amy, she is one of those fictional characters that have me yelling at my kindle like a crazy person, cussing and threatening bodily harm . Amy had no backbone, none ,zero, zip, zilch, nada. She was a huge coward, and that is one of my biggest pet peeves (next to cheating) that is a total killjoy when I am reading. She let her ex mother n law Mavis (her husband Shane you find out is dead in book one) treat her like shit, like total shit. Mavis tells her how she is the reason her son died, that she is a slut, a hussy, that her baby granddaughter isn't even really her son's because Amy such a slut. OMG and she just takes it. Lets that woman walk all over her and treat her like trash(which she also calls her many times).

"You little hussy. I don't need your smart mouth. You can go to the cemetery by yourself. I'm sick and tired of wasting my time on a piece of trash like you." -Mavis to Amy


"It's your fault he joined the military. It's your fault my son is dead."-Mavis to Amy


Top that off with the fact that Amy was wishy washy with Ranger pushing him away and being a big bitch to him at times and I just wanted to shake the shit outta her! I can't think of one thing I like about her, not one. 


I felt bad for Ranger. I can't tell you how many times they kissed, made love, or he told her he loved her, and wanted forever, and she would push him away, tell him to leave, and that she can't do this. Ripped his heart out all because she was a chicken that was too scared of Mavis talking trash on her and what people would think. Really? Some of the things she said to Ranger were so hateful that if I was him I would have walked away and found someone better. 

"I can't. Please, Ranger. I can't. Why are you doing this to me?" "Because, you're worth fighting for. Every damn day for the rest of my life."-Amy and Ranger


"All because you are too stubborn to let me in." Her own anger rose, but she forced it down. Amy knew it deep in her heart. "You're right. I am afraid. I'm afraid of what people will say when they find out about us. I'm afraid of what Mavis will try to do when she finds out."-Ranger and Amy


"I'm ruined. You ruined everything." Ranger rocked back on his heels in shock. He'd been expecting her to cry, to worry, to need him to calm her. "What? What are you saying?" Ranger reached for her, but she yanked back out of his reach. "This is a mistake." "No, it's not. We are not a mistake. Last night was the best night of my life." Ranger struggled to hold on to her, to find the right words. Amy flinched. "I can't do this. I thought I could, but I was wrong. Mavis will tell everyone that I betrayed my husband."-Amy and Ranger


Amy pushed him away so much that I didn't want them to be together. I didn't feel the love and I wanted him to tell her to kiss off. Instead he pretty much begs the whole book for her to give them a chance. I am all for a man knowing what he wants and fighting for it. That is sexy, but she was so cold and mean it was like she turned this sexy strong man into a love sick puppy begging for some time. 


"I know the chemistry between us is weird. Scary. But dammit it's real and it's here and now. You're just flying through the clouds because you don't want to see what's on the ground right in front of you." "The only thing I feel is annoyance. Are you so desperate that you have to chase after what you can't have? You dumped me first, remember?"- Ranger and Amy



"Dammit Amy Ann, I've never loved another woman in my entire life. It's always been you. Always." -Ranger to Amy


"Your temper might scare off a weaker man, but not me. Because deep down, I know you want me to stay. I know you've got some fucked up reason to tell yourself why you can't let me, but you want me too."-Ranger to Amy


"I'm asking you to give us a chance. I'm here, right in front of you and I love you."-Ranger to Amy


"You will regret this, Amy. Don't let her win." "I can't fight this." "You're too scared to fight. Stand up for yourself. For your family. For what you want." -Ranger and Amy



Ranger was such a great and sweet guy he could do so much better. Even with me hating Amy as much as I did, and God knows I did, Ranger, the story and all the other characters saved this book for me. I really liked getting to see Hunter and Evie again, and there are few others I would like to get their own books like bo and Merc. Even though I didn't love this book, I like Lindsay Cross's writing style and plan on reading more of her books. 






No comments:

Post a Comment