Monday, March 16, 2015

Smiley

Book Review of Smiley (New Species Series)




Title: Smiley

Series: New Species Series

Author: Laurann Dohner

Date Published:  October 28th 2014

The Blurb: 
Vanni is furious when her fiancĂ© tricks her into attending a conference where his father’s church is protesting the New Species Organization. She hates everything those vile bigots stand for. Vanni goes to the bar to cool off and ends up seated next to a handsome New Species. Things heat up fast when they are both drugged.

Smiley doesn't want to believe the sweet human would dose them with the breeding drug. He's willing to trust her and determined to save her life. He'll hold her. Protect her. Offer up his body to distract them both from the pain. She is his female, even if she doesn't realize it yet.


My Review




3.5 Hmmm 


“I remember when I used to be in charge,” Justice mused. “I even have the nice office and desk.”


Really? What a let down! Smiley is the first primate book of the series, and I really liked smiley in the other books , but this was just kinda sad. So Smiley is the 13th book in the New Species Series. Vanni, tricked by her fiancé to attend one of his father's church protest, is mad. She doesn't want anything to do with her soon to be father n laws hate church or want to support the lies they spit about the NSO. She goes to the bar to have a tea and finds herself drugged with the breeding drug . The nice NS male next to her, Smiley is also Drugged. With the drugs in their system they go at each other like animals. Now Vanni is all over the news and her life will never be the same!

“You’re so tight.” His voice deepened. “My dick is envious.”



Smiley for me was ok , there were times when I liked him , but then at times he fell flat for me. I liked that he was fun, playful, and at times he could be very sexy. Maybe if they spent more time together I could have got to see more of smiley and connected to him better.

“I’m already in love with you. I have been since we bonded in the back of that SUV. You trusted me to care for you and put your faith in me. You’ll never know what that meant. I went insane when I woke up and learned you’d run away from the task force members. I couldn’t eat or sleep. I worried that you were out there afraid and alone. That someone would hurt you. I want to protect you and keep you safe. I want you in my arms, in my home and with me all the time. I hate being apart from you. You’re all I think about.”


“I’d kill you but I don’t want Vanni to see it. You’re a piece of shit and you’re never going to see daylight again. You never deserved her. She will be happy while you learn what hell is.” He lowered his voice even more. “That doesn’t mean she will always be on the other side of the glass. I can visit you at any time. Let’s give you six months of living in a cage and I bet you will want to hit me then. We are going to fight at some point. Know that.”


Vanni was totally blah for me. I didn't like that she was with someone when the book started. I get that he was a jerk, but I still didn't like it. Vanni was naive , a little immature, boring , and flat! She didn't work for me at all. There is nothing that stands out to me about her , hell I can't even tell you what color her hair and eyes are ( was that even in the book? did I miss it?) Blah just Blah!!!!

“I think it’s so romantic that you want to kick someone’s ass over me.”

Vanni released Smiley’s arm and flipped Gregory off. “I always wanted to do that. Screw you, Gregory. Smiley and I are getting married. He’s the best thing that ever happened to me and I wanted you to know it. You did me the biggest favor of my life. Choke on that the next time you open your mouth and spew your hate.”



“I’m yours, Vanni. Say you’re mine. Let’s just do this. I know it might frighten you to take a mate this fast but trust me to be here for you. Take a leap. I’ll catch you. Always.”

There was some hot sex in this book, but Vanni and Smiley as a couple felt rushed, forced, and didn't feel real. They didn't spend enough time together and didn't really stand out. The secondary characters shined more then the main couple. The book as a whole was ok there are parts I really liked and then there was parts that felt boring , but I was really looking forward to smiley and feel really let down. I am hoping that Laurann Dohner writes books for Breeze, Flame, Jericho, and maybe Ven! I am still a fan and can't wait for the next book in this series. Below I leave my favorite moment from the book...


“I love you,” he blurted. “Fuck,” Jericho muttered. The male released him. He seemed to fix his attention on Beth. “Is she as nervous as he is?” “Like a virgin on prom night,” Beth stated. “Yes. I forgot. You probably don’t know what that means, do you? She’s good to go.” Smiley closed the distance between him and Vanni. He reached out and hoped she didn’t notice the way his hands trembled. He liked the way her cheeks turned slightly pink and how her tongue darted out to wet her lips. “You take my breath away.” “I hope you don’t mind that I put on a little makeup. I wanted to look my best.” “I’d have to throw you over my shoulder and carry you to our room to avoid taking you on the floor if you looked any better.” “Smooth,” Jericho muttered. “Hot.” Beth sighed.



No comments:

Post a Comment