Thursday, July 7, 2016

Sonata by Moonlight

Book Review of Sonata By Moonlight (Heroes and Half-Notes series)


Title:Sonata By Moonlight  


Series: Heroes and Half-Notes Series


Author: A.E. Easterlin


Date Published: September 9th 2015


Date Read:    July 6th 2016


The Blurb:

Concert pianist Allison Chandler values three things in her life: her brother, her career, and a man from her past who has no idea she's loved him since she was fifteen. When her beloved brother commits suicide after his last assignment in Afghanistan, her entire life changes. The stage loses its appeal and she becomes a Certified Music Therapist to honor his memory and help heal wounded veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. 


Her first assignment is in her hometown, and she isn't the only one who has come home. Brodie Miller is back, hot as ever but a little broken from his own tour of duty. Can the magic of music in the moonlight and a steadfast love heal his mind and heart? When he sees her as a woman and not his buddy’s little sister, Brodie could fulfill her dreams—and his own—or leave her achingly lonely forever.

My Review


3 PTSD Stars


When I read the synopsis for this book I was so excited. It sounded so good. It had some of my favorite tropes. Brother's best friend, damaged sexy ex military men, and childhood crush. It also was something a little different with Allison being a Concert pianist that became a Certified Music Therapist to help heal veterans with PTSD. But it had something that I didn't expect and it just really killed my joy of this book....... the dreaded love triangle!



God I hate love triangles. Very rarely I can read a love triangle book and love it, but this is not one of those times. Sorry just sayin'! To be honest I truly believe if the author had left the triangle out of it and focused more on the hero Brodie and the heroine Ally's relationship and built up a stronger connection this would have been a powerful 5 stars read. But instead I got 3 way drama and very little relationship development making it hard for me to feel a strong connection to the couple. It also made their love feel superficial.


I do think the author did a great job of touching on the very important subject of post traumatic stress disorder the effects it has on soldiers and their families. I was really engrossed in that part of the book. I love the way she brought awareness to it. And I loved that it wasn't carelessly brushed over or made light of. Brett's part in the book was very touching and heart breaking. Not the best read but still okay. I would give this author another chance. 




No comments:

Post a Comment